Sign in with
Your question

AsRock Wolfdale1333-GLAN/M & E5200

Last response: in Motherboards
May 16, 2009 8:58:55 PM

I'm currently running a Core 2 Duo E8400 on an ASRock Wolfdale1333-GLAN/M - details. As I'd like to move to having 8GB RAM and also the option to upgrade to a Core 2 Quad at a later date, I'm going to replace the board with an Asus P5Q Pro (and buy the 8GB RAM at the same time).

A work colleague wants to build a low-cost bu decent system for his parents and has offered to take the ASRock board, plus 4GB of DDR2 667 (4x1GB Kingston ValueRAM modules) that I've already installed on the board.

He'd like to fit an E5200 processor, but we can't seem to find any sign of the E5xxx processors listed on the CPU support list.

I've flashed the BIOS to the latest version already and am bit surprised at not seeing the E5xxx series listed, as the board will take faster CPU's such as the E8400.

Does anyone know if an E5xxx series CPU will work on this board?

Many thanks for any advice,
Neil
a b V Motherboard
May 16, 2009 9:05:36 PM

Yes it will, its the same Wolfdale core you have in your e8400, just it has less cache and runs with lower FSB.
May 16, 2009 9:14:13 PM

Thanks for your quick reply. Spec-wise, it should, but do you think there will be any issues where the BIOS has CPU ID checking in place and does not allow the system to boot, as it knows nothing about the processors's ID?

Thanks,
Neil
a b V Motherboard
May 17, 2009 12:53:42 AM

Well that is a bit strange, im not so sure myself now. Have you tried asking Customer support?
!