D: drive CD/DVD R recognized as being C: drive

Josnail

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
Hello,
In My Computer the D: drive is labeled a CD drive. I have a Sony CD/DVD RW drive installed. In the Hardware tab of Properties it is listed as Optiarc DVD RW AD-7240S. The Recording tab does not have a D: drive listed only C:, E: and F:. I am running Windows XP and have tried the REGEDIT solution and there are no filters listed.

You need to provide some more info,
like how many drives do you have total?
when you say it's not listed in recording tab, but C:, E and F are listed, what are those drives?

try going to device manager and uninstalling the drive, then scan for new hardware and when it finds the drive again, make sure it has the correct drivers installed (search a CD if it came with one) if not look at manufacturer's website for drivers.

Unless your drive is actually a regular cd/dvd-rom and not a writer you are most likely having config/driver issue

Josnail

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011

My son set up my computer. C: has WindowsXP E: and F: are just storage. I don't use them much.

The "My Computer" list D: as a CD R and then it switches to a DVD-RAM. Really screwy. But when you look at the "Properties/Recording" tab at the drive to store the program you want to copy on, there is no D: drive listed. Only the ones above.