Help. How do i Reduce Temp?

xxwolfsrainxx

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
So My Cpu runs at 53-60 Idle and the highest it hits while running games is 90. I don't know what's wrong. My cpu fan is: COOLER MASTER Intel Core i5 compatible GeminII S RR-CCH-PBU1-GP 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler. My CPU is a AMD Phenom II x4 940 Black Edition. How can I reduce the heat?

More info :)
are you overclocking it at all?
did you install the cooler yourself?
whats telling you your temps? bios, realtemp or some other program?
I've seen a few threads like this so someone (Brainier N' I am) will help more, just need as much info as you can supply
Moto

xxwolfsrainxx

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
I'm not overclocking at all. I did install the cooler. Temps are being read by Core Temp and Speed Fan. Also I noticed that out of the three fans that are in the back of my computer, two blow out hot air (the ones near the cpu) and the other blows out cold air. I have a Silverstone 1000watt power supply. I am also using a small computer case. This is a thermaltake lanbox i think is what it's called. Speed fan says the cooler master is running at 8654 RPM's.

Personally,
I'd slam that lil case so full of fans it would hover :)
I assume you installed the hs correctly, thermal paste etc?
So be patient and someone will come along (hopefully soon),
I'm not sure how one fan blows out cold air though
Sorry I cant be more help Man,
Moto

xxwolfsrainxx

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
ahah. To bad it only has 4 fans max. 1 90mm and 3 60mm. Yeah I used Artic Silver thermalpaste but I mean I put it in middle and kinda fanned it out with my finger. It was the first comp I built. Should I take off the paste and redue it?

Haha well the one fan blowing out cold air is next to my GTX 295 and I have that thing's fan on 100% so it's has nice temps there. What really bothers me is the fan's blowing out hot air. The air they are blowing out are extremely hot.

xxwolfsrainxx

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
Hmm well then where is the heat coming from? The CPU? Well I mean I'm no handy man, how would i even begin to cut the metal?
This is a picture of the case:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=Thermaltake+Lanbox&cid=16037734531379190698&ei=nYcQTJTrJ6SWjQS-zeC3CA&sa=image&ved=0CAgQ8gIwADgA#p
I could mod the roof and sides. How would I begin to mod them enough where I would stick in a fan though. The side's are not thick enough we're I could screw in the fans. Is there a guide on how people mod their cases?

On a side note, should I just get a new case? ONly problem is the silverstone is a modular power supply and the power supplies modular cables are really short. Also the mobo is a micro atx one. Can I switch it to a full blow case?

the heat is mostly coming from your cpu yes, the reason you have a heatsink on top of the cpu is to stop it frying basically,
Now, Case mods.....
Id look at my build log, see how I put 4x80mm fans in my roof, You can install them using just a drill, its preferable to cut out the fan sized square imo, but lots of drill holes do me just fine, I havent found a guide as such on here, but I will link my build and a tool list type thing I started too, hopefully give you some courage and ideas,
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareuk.inc&cat=13&post=279226&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0
have to scroll down for roof fans bit,
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareuk.inc&cat=13&post=287667&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0
Have a look through, Start looking at your case in a ' what if I did this...' kind of way :)
Ill check back in a bit
Moto

panto

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
Max temps stated by AMD for your processor is 62 degrees C so unless you're living in the hottest place on earth there's something wrong. Double check again that you've secured the cooler properly and that's it's making good contact with the CPU. I couldn't find the exact specs on the cooler master site but generally the manufacturers will specific the wattage of the CPUs that the cooler is made for. Your CPU is rated 125w so you'll want a cooler that can cool the amount of heat generated by that wattage. Since phenom II doesn't appear in the supported CPU list (and this just may be a the case), it could be that the cooler simply isn't beefy enough for your CPU.

panto

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
The manufacturer's website is where you'll find the most detailed information for a product. Some will list the wattage explicitly, some will do it implicitly by saying they support a whole family of CPUs such as athlon x2 or phenom II. 125w, while not the highest, is toward the high end as far as CPUs go and more power equates to more heat.

As an example, here's a link to the arctic cooling site where you'll see that their coolers have a rating 'up to x watts'.

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalog/main.php?cPath=1_43&osCsid=d138893784366443ddcfe5be4407fc97

Mind you these are only guidelines - a good cooler will provide excellent cooling regardless. If you want to take the hard work out of selecting a cooler, just look up reviews and benchmarks on this site and that way you'll be SURE that it's good :) Toms has done all the hard work for you already :)

trancetunes

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
if you spread the thermal paste with your finger that was not the best method. many people say that it creates air pockets, and then there are really hot spots that make their way through. if i were you iw ould clean off the cpu and heatsink, and reapply the thermal paste by using the correct method.

most people say the correct method is to put a pea sized amount in center of cpu and then firmly place the heatsink on top so that it spreads it across...there is also the rice method instead of pea...aka, place a very small line instead of very small round dot..some people use an X shape too, but once again--you don't need a lot..i would look for the best method on the arctic silver website. they have methods explained for different cpus.

Instructions for applying Arctic Silver 5..I believe yours would be Phenom™ II X4 With Metal Cap. If that is the right one, then you want to use the middle dot method that they show here: AMD middle dot method.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Maybe your heat sink is not properly secured against the CPU? In other wards its not tight enough in contact. Troubleshoot this by taking your computer and placing on the floor on its side so that gravity will keep the heat sink down. If temperatures improve, it indicates its not tightly secured. Try going into Bios and disabling some unneeded features. Your case, being small as you said might not be a good thing. Especially with your hot and large video card which can heat everything up.

xxwolfsrainxx

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010

Hmm I used way more artic Silver then in that picture o_O! Could that be the issue?