Sign in with
Your question
Closed

If and whenn ati falls to nvidia like 3dfx voodoo did

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 27, 2009 6:10:48 PM

pointless thread
January 27, 2009 6:18:20 PM

Surely you jest? Nvidia's going down. Just a matter of time. They bought 3dfx.... now they're following them.
January 27, 2009 10:00:52 PM

Nvidia has a market console share as well, I bet you didnt know that dfidnt you? Meaning that ps3 (myabe 360 as well) chips have some nvidia video card technology in them. So they arent going anywhere, they are huge hence why game developers always listen to them and patch their games quickly (look at rockstar with gta4).
January 27, 2009 10:52:55 PM

Pershing121 said:
Nvidia has a market console share as well, I bet you didnt know that dfidnt you? Meaning that ps3 (myabe 360 as well) chips have some nvidia video card technology in them. So they arent going anywhere, they are huge hence why game developers always listen to them and patch their games quickly (look at rockstar with gta4).

The GPU in the 360 was designed by ATI as was the GPU in the Wii so your claims of Nvidia console superiority are pure BS.
January 27, 2009 10:57:51 PM

Pershing121 said:

can i have the address of the stone your living under it sounds like a nice quiet relaxing place.
January 27, 2009 11:17:34 PM

I see Nvidia being absorbed by Intel long before I see ATI being absorbed by them.
January 27, 2009 11:20:29 PM

I smell BS lock em up thread

Who else smells it?

I think Voodoo is due for a second cumming.

Good bye and I hope your computer melts;)

January 28, 2009 12:43:24 AM

"The GPU in the 360 was designed by ATI as was the GPU in the Wii so your claims of Nvidia console superiority are pure BS. "

not the original xbox though.
January 28, 2009 12:50:07 AM

oh yes and we all remember how much of a success that was....

Xbox 1 came out around 2-3 yrs after the ps2, and was discontinued before the ps2. What does that tell you about that success story?

I can't believe this aint locked yet:D 

Get off your skiies and put down that beer TGGA ;)  LOL!

K bye bye:D 
January 28, 2009 2:26:47 AM

I love listening to Pershing talk. It's kind of like dreaming about green unicorns.
January 28, 2009 3:43:26 AM

it was still more succesful than both the dreamcast and the gamecube despite being a newcomer and having no support in japan.
January 28, 2009 4:08:45 AM

roofus said:
I see Nvidia being absorbed by Intel long before I see ATI being absorbed by them.

I don't know if Intel would be interested in owning Nvidia since they seem to be intent on having their own GPU solution with larrabee. I wouldn't be surprised to see a company like Sun go after Nvidia in order to get the workstation cards however. Of course this is all rhetorical as I doubt Nvidia will be in a state where they need to worry about being acquired anytime soon.
January 28, 2009 4:13:39 AM

Dekasav said:
I love listening to Pershing talk. It's kind of like dreaming about green unicorns.

Yeah, you wouldn't expect someone who only owns a 9500GT to be such an ardent Nvidia fanboy.
a b U Graphics card
January 28, 2009 4:21:47 AM

"Much deserved monopoly?"

So you enjoy having cards like the 8800GTX (though a fine card it was) stay basically unimproved for a full year while maintaining a $500 price tag? You'll note that when ATI finally got some cards that were at least remotely competitive, suddenly Nvidia was releasing a lot more cards, and the prices were dropping like rocks.
January 28, 2009 4:24:24 AM

Just_An_Engineer said:
Yeah, you wouldn't expect someone who only owns a 9500GT to be such an ardent Nvidia fanboy.

Maybe he just has a really bad case of buyer's remorse and denial. I could see it going something like:

"You know, you could have bought a HD4650 for the same price, I saw this benchmark where it's almost twice as fas-"

"NOOOOOO, IT'S NOT TRUE"

"Well I can give you the link if y-"

"ATI MAKES CRAPPY CARDS ANYWAY, NVIDIA 4 LYFE"

"What?"

"I SAW THIS 3D VISION THING THAT ONLY THEY HAVE AND uh... PHYSX, YEAH, ATI HAVE THAT? DIDN'T THINK SO"

January 28, 2009 4:27:30 AM

I don't believe ANYONE should run a 9500GT. HD 46xx vs. 9500GT. No contest.
January 28, 2009 4:34:53 AM

Dekasav said:
I don't believe ANYONE should run a 9500GT. HD 46xx vs. 9500GT. No contest.

I seem to recall that he bought the 9500GT because he needed a low-profile card for his Gateway computer with one of those slim cases and his PSU didn't have enough juice to supply a 9600GT. Unfortunately there is no low-profile version of the 46XX radeons or you can be sure that he would have been steered in that direction by the people here on the forums.
January 28, 2009 5:07:09 AM

"Yeah, you wouldn't expect someone who only owns a 9500GT to be such an ardent Nvidia fanboy. "

if you followed my threads I returned that card long ago but nweegg still charged me restocking fee depsite the fact I barely touched the box. I own a 9800 gt now. And I can paly mirrors edge with full anti aliasing and everything looking great better than source stuff.
January 28, 2009 5:08:50 AM

I found out that gateway isnt low profile but that ati's thick a@@ crap I originally bought for it (3870 simply wouldnt fit. All the radeon's on the other hand fit in beautifly, I am glad the radeon didnt fit to tell the truth.
January 28, 2009 5:11:11 AM

"I seem to recall that he bought the 9500GT because he needed a low-profile card for his Gateway computer with one of those slim cases and his PSU didn't have enough juice to supply a 9600GT. Unfortunately there is no low-profile version of the 46XX radeons or you can be sure that he would have been steered in that direction by the people here on the forums."

there is no radeon in a lot of directions. If you look at mobile (laptops) radeons suck compared ot nvidia, if you looka t the upper end scale best vs best radeon vs nvidia, radeon also is out (unless cross fire I believe), if you look at stereo 3d, physx, etc. etc. etc.
January 28, 2009 5:36:24 AM

Pershing121 said:

there is no radeon in a lot of directions. If you look at mobile (laptops) radeons suck compared ot nvidia, if you looka t the upper end scale best vs best radeon vs nvidia, radeon also is out (unless cross fire I believe), if you look at stereo 3d, physx, etc. etc. etc.

You really need to remove your green-tinted glasses for a moment and take a look at the market as it is now.
January 28, 2009 5:38:41 AM

quoted from that thread for laughing stocks around the time voodo started dying and dissapearing form its dominance while ati was sitting quietly on the side taking it up the rear form both:
"Don't forget that ATI was the 800lb gorilla back then and Matrox was
still competitive. "
January 28, 2009 6:00:58 AM

Pershing121 said:
quoted from that thread for laughing stocks around the time voodo started dying and dissapearing form its dominance while ati was sitting quietly on the side taking it up the rear form both:
"Don't forget that ATI was the 800lb gorilla back then and Matrox was
still competitive. "

Sure, yeah, let's bring in useless things from years ago. Before ATI changed ownership (and probably leadership at least once). Methinks you drink too much tea, Pershing.

Remember, Nvidia doesn't have the excellent technologies like pixel shader 4.1, DX10.1, Crossfire, or Havok. Nvidia can't even use Avivo!!!

Just to name a bunch of useless (as of now) hardware/softwares.
January 28, 2009 8:21:09 AM

Pfff why do people even bother replying to Pershing 121?

I think he's paid by Nvidia to spam every forum that has anything to do with graphics cards...

That or he's the biggest fanboy in the history of fanboys....much deserved monopoly...sheesh

Anywayz the last topic i was reading happened to be by Pershing as well and it was about nvidia owning the market with physx....

So this is the 1st and last reply i will make in any of his topics, asking everyone to please just never reply to his fanboy posts.

(btw, before i get called a fanboy myself, my videocard history goes something like Nvidia, Nvidia, ATi, Nvidia, ATi and i'm now thinking about getting either a GTX260 or a 4870, so i'm happy with both brands, just need to figure out which is best value for me at this time)
a b U Graphics card
January 28, 2009 8:47:21 AM

No one could buy nVidia, as surely theyd just change their name before purchase and ask for more money
January 28, 2009 9:24:35 AM

if larrabee works out nvidia will be in trouble, and if larrabee does not work out they will still be in trouble, ether way nvidia will be in trouble
January 28, 2009 9:45:46 AM

please explain how they would be in trouble? To tell the truth right now only sony and microsoft are in trouble. Sony is losing grounds on both handhelds and consoles, and this was like their first year at a loss in the video game market in 14 years. And they lay off employees constantly and cant even afford to buy exclusive rights anymore. ANd they lose money off every sp3 sold and hardly ever win it back. Microsoft is also in trouble as the evidence of them losing thousands of jobs to employees recently and how their stock is crashing and how miserably low it is compared to google. I cant wait to see the day bill gates becomes bankrupt or at least starts supporting his business with throwing all that money he has into it rather than his own pocket.
January 28, 2009 10:41:51 AM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
No one could buy nVidia, as surely theyd just change their name before purchase and ask for more money

Quoted for truth. Lol
January 28, 2009 10:44:47 AM

Pershing121 said:
please explain how they would be in trouble? To tell the truth right now only sony and microsoft are in trouble. Sony is losing grounds on both handhelds and consoles, and this was like their first year at a loss in the video game market in 14 years. And they lay off employees constantly and cant even afford to buy exclusive rights anymore. ANd they lose money off every sp3 sold and hardly ever win it back. Microsoft is also in trouble as the evidence of them losing thousands of jobs to employees recently and how their stock is crashing and how miserably low it is compared to google. I cant wait to see the day bill gates becomes bankrupt or at least starts supporting his business with throwing all that money he has into it rather than his own pocket.

Listen kid, if you don't understand this game and you don't follow the news at all then I suggest you stop trying to play it.

Nvidia is in deep **** right now for an entire large variety of reasons, expect them to be reporting nothing but losses for a while.

I like Nvidia hardware well enough and I buy all my gpus from EVGA because of their support commitments to end users - however don't blind yourself to the facts because you're making yourself look ignorant.

ed: BTW, about Bill Gates - Bill Gates is no longer the CEO of Microsoft, its Steve Ballimer; Bill Gates is a VERY well known filantropist who uses a great degree of his money and time for charity at this point. He also has a trust fund which protects him from basically ever going bankrupt. Freaks like you can hate on Bill Gates all you want but he has done a great deal more for the needy of the world than you ever will.
January 28, 2009 11:20:14 AM

You know that no matter how you guys put the story you all can look like fanboys;)

How about we just don`t post here?

Nvidia will not be in trouble because they haven't lost as much as ATI (AMD) has. And Ati will not lose because they have gained some major ground.

Remember AMD still needs to get out of ****, while Nvidia isn't in **** at all. They still control the laptop gaming market.

AMD will get out of **** because it has pulled through with the phenoms 2s. Even though being less powerful than the i7s they are amazingly priced and mosnter OCers, same goes for their cards. Not quite as strong but have amazing pricing.

Now please this really isn't proving anything.

In my opinion this just makes me loose respect for the ppl that I had respect 4 before.
a b U Graphics card
January 28, 2009 4:05:00 PM

ATIs problems arent many, AMD has plenty. nVidias problems are : they were using the wrong bump material on their solder ends and in their laptops and some DT models, thereve been high failutre rates. I can show at least 1 person who works in a shop that sees more nVidia cards come back than ATI, and that nVidia used to sell 7/10 units out of this shop, and now its 50/50, and still the failure rate has increased as compared to an earlier time.

Their die is so large, and so complicated, theyve had trouble getting out on time with their 55nm yields, some of these run hot as well, as can be attested to a few on here, they cost too much, they are designed to cost more, with no real world performance returns of being better, having a 512 bus etc vs GDDR5, dont use DX10.1, still use GDDR3, even there shrink is huge die size wise compared to ATI, and cant really sell them for the same amount of money, as they get far fewer chips per wafer than ATI.

Theyve lost credibility with a large portion of their user base, by waiting waaay too long to come with something new, charged and held prices high for far too long, and when they did come in with a new product, it was severly overpriced, and a disappointment to much of their user base.

Theyve lost exsclusivity with pallit xfx and only have EVGA any more as their partners have abandoned them for better sales selling ATI products.

Now, if thats knocking nVidia, if thats painting a doom scenario, Im only saying what it happening with them at this time. I dont want them to go out of business, nor fire people left and right either, but it hasnt been a smooth ride for nVidia, period, and anyone who says different, I have a hard time respecting them, and their knowledge of whats been going on
January 29, 2009 3:30:07 AM

I've never owned an Nvidia card..... but both my mobos had their chipsets!! I loves me some AMD/ATI.

Not that that's important.

I respect Nvidia, but they haven't done so well the last year. It's actually surprising they control so much in laptop gaming, I figured a derivative of the HD 4650/70 would show up and that'd be the end of it.

I have faith that Nvidia will pull out, though. They're large and planning to go to 40nm with ATI (same time-frame). Hopefully they don't stall DX11 like they (helped) massacre DX10.

Really this whole topic is dumb, now that I think about it. I wonder if Pershing is actually the one dreaming of green unicorns.
January 29, 2009 4:04:34 AM

notice how amd had to buy ati out yet ati still uses their own name on graphic cards, shows the power of nvidia. Took out 3dfx and forced ait to be bought up.
January 29, 2009 4:19:37 AM

Pershing121 said:
notice how amd had to buy ati out yet ati still uses their own name on graphic cards, shows the power of nvidia. Took out 3dfx and forced ait to be bought up.

It's all about brand recognition. The ATI name has been around for a long time and is recognized by consumers as a purveyor of quality components. If AMD were to drop the ATI name they would not be able to capitalize on ATI's name recognition and reputation. This happens all of the time when companies get acquired.
January 29, 2009 4:41:14 AM

I don't think ATI -had- to be bought up at all. I believe they were doing fine, but AMD found themselves with extra cash and wanted to expand. Neither one -had- to do anything.

Personally, it looks like more of a merger than a buyout.

But you can stop with the "Nvidia is all powerful!" crap. It's stupid. Really. Nvidia's great and all, but they just make video cards, it's not like they found a way to colonize Mars.
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2009 5:14:51 AM

Ummm, isnt Mars the RED planet ? heheh
January 29, 2009 5:26:04 AM

Its funny how Pershing said that sony was suffering with the ps3 and thats the only console with nvidia gpu. Bottom line competition is good we need both companies to be in the market.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 29, 2009 5:27:19 AM

L1qu1d said:
I smell BS lock em up thread ...

Yahoooo [:thegreatgrapeape:7]
!