Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 makes my internet slow???

Last response: in Toms Network
March 31, 2010 12:34:22 AM

Hello, I am not sure if this is the right place to post this but I have a problem with my internet speed and I was wondering if you could help me out. I had Windows XP Professional for a very long time, I also had Cable internet connection at around 15mbps which is more then good enough for me. Then I upgraded to Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit and thats when my connection problems began. Running on Vista online speedtest sites measured my speed at about 1mbps and it was noticeably slower then before. A few weeks ago I purchased and installed a copy of Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and my speed is still terrible but trying it with xp gave me insane results.

This is Speedtest.net results running Windows XP

And trying speedtest on Windows 7 gives me this result:

Big difference as you can see.

Can anyone tell my why my connection is so bad on modern operating systems? I called my cable provider, they replaced my modem and all the cables but it did not make any difference, the connection is insane on XP and horrible on Vista/7.

I don't think its my hardware either, core i7 and 4gb ddr3 should be more then enough for browsing. I use one of my motherboard's built in ethernet ports. Any help appreciated. Thanks
March 31, 2010 12:47:50 AM

I'm curious how you're getting 100 Mb/s on a 15 Mb/s line lol. Thats a fancy xp install you have there.

Any difference if you try it say early in the morning as opposed to at night?
m
l
March 31, 2010 12:55:35 AM

trnddwn33 said:
I'm curious how you're getting 100 Mb/s on a 15 Mb/s line lol. Thats a fancy xp install you have there.

Any difference if you try it say early in the morning as opposed to at night?

Exactly, 104mbps is not even possible, my old pc only had 10/100 ethernet
The new pc has dual 10/100/1000 ethernet and its still hitting 84mbps in xp and 1-2mbps in Windows 7

Day or night makes no difference either, its always slow on windows 7 but I do reach 5mbps once in a while

I really doubt my speed is that fast even under xp but when I am using XP, youtube 1080p videos load faster then they play, windows 7, on the other hand cant load a 360p video fast enough. Where is my pc even getting these connection speed numbers from???
m
l
Related resources
April 6, 2010 5:11:28 PM

google:

Win7 tcp window

disable this setting. it's a command you run. reboot. it's an option that suppose to help high-bandwidth high-latency connections and should not help low-latency connections.

it's easy to turn back on if you want, assuming it doesn't fix the issue, but really there's no reason to have it on anyway.

I'm not saying this "will" fix your issue, but it's on of the many possible fixes for Vista/7 network speed issues.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 10, 2010 7:15:03 PM

Have you tried going to your Network Adapters properties and removing the checkbox from TCP/IP v6 and keep IPv4 with a check.
m
l
!