My dell is asking for a password that i don't have

betlester1

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
my dell computer when you shut down "hard" from the tower or when hitting ctrl/alt/delete gets me to the dell screen (with dell in the globe with www.dell.com unter) at this point it will take me to a black screen with enter CURRENT password - well i never had a password .. i've had the computer for several years now and never had this happen before. I never had to have a password and have never created one. if i hit escape while on the dell screen it brings me to the info screen with copywrtie info .. dell demintion L933r .. Bios verison etc. at the bottom it says hit delete to go to set up ... but when i do it takes me again to the black screen wanting my password ... it won't show anything when i try typing something it only shows an X after you hit enter ... and will only do this 3 times the i get - Invalid password-system hatled .... if anyone can help please do ... thanks

fo0b4er

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
If I understand what you're saying, it sounds like somebody has set a master bios password on your computer. You would know this because every time you start the computer it would immediately ask for a password and not even let you into windows. If this is not the case, then please try to describe when you are getting these password prompts. If that sounds like what you are experiencing, the fix is to use the jumpers on the motherboard to reset it. go to dell's support website and lookup the manual for your computer model, it will have instructions on how to do this.

betlester1

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Yes ... that has to be it ... i can't get past the password - i tried the del website and cannot find the correct manual for my computer, but i will continue to try ... i have alot of information on that computer i cannot replace not to metion the pics. Thanks for your quick response!

fo0b4er

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
No, don't worry, you won't loose all your data, its still there. [And I know the password wont be in the manual! The instructions to clear the BIOS and therefore clear the password will be there!] Here is a good guide that shows how to do it in a way that works for pretty much any PC in case you can't find the manual for yours: http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Your-BIOS .

betlester1

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
This was great help and im not being sarcastic (i def. need the help and appreciate it too).... i followed the alternate method in the link ... all i could find was the battery that looked like a watch battery ... i unplugged the computer - took the cover off - saw no switch or pins - but i did see the battery so i took it out for around 5 min.- put it back hooked the computer back up - but still the same problem ... it wants a password ... lol. Do you think i should have left the computer plugged in but not on ... or would it matter. I'm hopelessly computer illiterate. Thanks for all your help.

betlester1

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
:D Amazing! This worked! Not amazing it worked .. amazing I could do it! But I could never have done it without you guys! I am sooooo greatful that there is people out there that care enough to help a person in need, without any kind of payment or self-gain. Thank you, thank you, thank you! :love:

fo0b4er

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
What do you mean, no self gain?? Haha kidding! I'm glad that all worked out for you, and thanks to jeff75 for finding the exact spot in the manual, great job!

kcpal

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013

kcpal

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
Could u please tell me how, as the link from support.dell.com no longer works.
I am dire for unlocking the Current password for L933R.

Thanks