<Windows root>system32ntoskrnl exe could this be a motherboard issue?

mapquest68

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
<Windows root>system32ntoskrnl Could this be a motherboard issue? Motherboard died on my 2005 Compaq Presario.Thought it was the Hard drive.Replaced hd and it never booted up. My brother's HP pavilion a1540n got the above message. He assumed that his hd had failed so he went out and bought a new computer. Gave me his old system. I installed my new hd and loaded up windows xp. System worked fine for approximately 24 hours then I got the same message my brother did. Tried to boot from cd but the keyboard doesn't work after it initiates. Unplugged everything and was about to put it away, but forgot to write the message down...rebooted AGAIN and this time it booted up normally but still had no keyboard. Shut down and re booted again and got the same old message again.
I'm out of ideas. I am really leaning towards this being a motherboard problem. Thanks. I can be reached at mapquest68@live.com

mapquest68

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
Don't think so.Cant even boot from a disk. Had fresh copy of xp running. My step brother said that he got the same message and thought it was a bad hd. Local shop said to look at the capacitors on the mb. Said they should not be bulging. The ones right up next to the cpu and fan looked scorched and are bulged up some. Don't want to spend the $$$ on a new mb if thats not the problem. Anyone know if there are other ways to check the mb?