What is "stable temperature"??

majinn

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
Hello,
I'm new to the overclocking craze and wanted to know if I'm using a program like Prime95 to stress test, and CoreTemp to monitor my temperatures, what is the maximum temperature (in Celsius) should I allow my CPU to run at? In other words, what temperature is considered stable?

theitalian

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010

That depends on your CPU. What are you using? My Max is 62C before i shut down because i worry. But for mobile CPU's some of them can go up to 100C.

majinn

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010

Oh. Sorry! I'm using the AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Quad Core CPU.

majinn

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010

Oh okay cool. Thanks, but could you tell me where to get that kind of information from the manufacturer's web site? I would hate to have to post a new thread every time I try a different Processor.

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009

TCase is representative of Case Temp and it's a very misleading number as no two cases cool the same. What you'd like to find is the TJunction Max, the temp which the cpu automatically shuts down to protect itself.

Intel is very tight lipped about actual tjmax numbers. Nehalem tjmax numbers range from 80c-105c depending on the cpu and who you ask.

It's all moot however. These numbers represent the extreme spectrum of operating ranges. They are far from "stable". It's common to start introducing artifacts once cpus reach 70-80pct of their tjmax. While the cpu might not shut down, it's going to throw bsods and introduce other unfriendly glitches.

In general for 45nm Intel I'd say anything under 70c would be considered stable. Each cpu is different, each handles heat differently, so keep that in mind.