Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What is "stable temperature"??

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
June 10, 2010 12:22:52 PM

Hello,
I'm new to the overclocking craze and wanted to know if I'm using a program like Prime95 to stress test, and CoreTemp to monitor my temperatures, what is the maximum temperature (in Celsius) should I allow my CPU to run at? In other words, what temperature is considered stable?

More about : stable temperature

June 10, 2010 1:21:00 PM

majinn said:
Hello,
I'm new to the overclocking craze and wanted to know if I'm using a program like Prime95 to stress test, and CoreTemp to monitor my temperatures, what is the maximum temperature (in Celsius) should I allow my CPU to run at? In other words, what temperature is considered stable?


That depends on your CPU. What are you using? My Max is 62C before i shut down because i worry. But for mobile CPU's some of them can go up to 100C.
m
0
l
a c 286 K Overclocking
June 10, 2010 1:30:22 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

We need know what CPU do u have because not all the CPU support the same temps.
m
0
l
Related resources
June 10, 2010 9:06:28 PM

saint19 said:
Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

We need know what CPU do u have because not all the CPU support the same temps.


Oh. Sorry! I'm using the AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Quad Core CPU.
m
0
l
a c 286 K Overclocking
June 10, 2010 9:37:01 PM

Ok.

The AMD site recommend 62C or less, but with 70C or less ur CPU is safe.
m
0
l
June 10, 2010 9:55:50 PM

saint19 said:
Ok.

The AMD site recommend 62C or less, but with 70C or less ur CPU is safe.



Oh okay cool. Thanks, but could you tell me where to get that kind of information from the manufacturer's web site? I would hate to have to post a new thread every time I try a different Processor.
m
0
l
a c 286 K Overclocking
June 10, 2010 10:01:37 PM

See here

Just go to the manufacturer's web site, look for the CPU that u have and check the specifications of the product.
m
0
l
June 10, 2010 10:39:29 PM

saint19 said:
See here

Just go to the manufacturer's web site, look for the CPU that u have and check the specifications of the product.


Okay. I also did that with Intel processors:

Intel Specs

So does TCASE means temperatures for Intel?
m
0
l
a c 286 K Overclocking
June 10, 2010 10:45:08 PM

Yeah, that's correct.
m
0
l
June 11, 2010 6:31:32 PM

majinn said:
Okay. I also did that with Intel processors:

Intel Specs

So does TCASE means temperatures for Intel?


TCase is representative of Case Temp and it's a very misleading number as no two cases cool the same. What you'd like to find is the TJunction Max, the temp which the cpu automatically shuts down to protect itself.

Intel is very tight lipped about actual tjmax numbers. Nehalem tjmax numbers range from 80c-105c depending on the cpu and who you ask.

It's all moot however. These numbers represent the extreme spectrum of operating ranges. They are far from "stable". It's common to start introducing artifacts once cpus reach 70-80pct of their tjmax. While the cpu might not shut down, it's going to throw bsods and introduce other unfriendly glitches.

In general for 45nm Intel I'd say anything under 70c would be considered stable. Each cpu is different, each handles heat differently, so keep that in mind.
m
0
l
!