Sign in with
Your question

PC won't recognize Vista DVD. Both drive and disc are fine?!

Last response: in Systems
January 1, 2009 4:48:07 AM

Short version:
My DVD drive can not read my system builder OEM Vista DVD. (Or the replacement I ordered). The drive can still read other CD's and DVD's just fine though. I also tried both discs on another computer and they work fine. So the discs work and the drive works but they just don't work together.

Long version:
Alright I have been fooling with this all day and I am getting nowhere. Basically, I have a rig I built a while ago. The motherboard is an Asus A8N-SLI Premium with BIOS revision 1303. The DVD/CD rom is a NEC ND-3540A. I had it set up to dual boot between vista 64 and XP 32 and this worked fine for quite a while. The only reason I kept XP alive was because some drivers for a guitar accessory of mine were only available for 32 bit OS's. Both of the OS's are also system builder OEM's. I also have a disc with OEM XP 64.

After drivers finally came out for my guitar accessory, I decided to do away with XP entirely and I backed all my files up so I can delete the seperate partitions and start fresh. I did all that and I popped my Vista DVD in and rebooted the PC but the computer wouldn't recognize it. The drive light did come on but it didn't spin up to speed. It did this for a a little while.. perhaps 20-30 seconds. After that, it would give up and load from the hard drive. Also, the BIOS revision I had then was 1009. This version was, and still is, the latest non beta version available. Naturally I tried the usual suspects. Is the dvd dirty? nope. Air duster the drive? yup. Make sure the boot order is correct? check. Does the drive read other media, both CD and DVD? sure does... Also, Vista would not recognize the DVD if I tried to pop it in while Vista was loaded. I also flashed my BIOS to the latest beta which went flawlessly but still didn't help.

At this point, the only thing I could think of is that my DVD somehow became defective. So my next move was to call MS and buy a replacement disc without a key. About a month later, it finally showed up. So basically at this point I try the same thing again and the results are exactly the same. My computer treats this newer disc just like my original.

So I decided to try it on another computer to see if it would work, and sure enough, both of these install discs work fine. I can navigate to them and the contents all appear to be intact. This made me wonder if it was because I already have Vista installed on my PC and that was having some affect. I seriously doubted it but I was out of options. So I took the XP installation disc and booted off of that. I deleted the partitions and started fresh and XP installed fine. With just XP installed, I tried to boot off of the Vista disc (or even access it while XP was loaded) and it wouldn't work. I tried this with both XP 32 and 64 even though I knew the outcome would be the same. (I'm desperate!). So finally, I booted up off XP again and deleted the partitions and then abandoned the XP installation. So now I just have empty hard drives. And guess what? Yeah, it still wouldn't work. All I get now is: "DISC BOOT FAILURE. INSERT SYSTEM DISC AND PRESS ENTER." That message pops up after the initial 20-30 seconds of the DVD light being on but not spinning. Subsequent enters cause the message to pop back up after a few seconds.

This completely boggles my mind because the DVD drive is the exact same one I used when I first installed the OS. Also, in case I wasn't clear about the BIOS, it didn't work with release 1009 OR beta 1303.

I do have another DVD burner that I scrapped from an old computer that my grandpa gave me but I have no idea if it works. If not, I can always call my friend up and be like "Hey, I need you to open your computer up and let me borrow your DVD drive" lol.

As for me, I've built a couple PC's, replaced countless parts in others, I'm the ONE person that everyone in my humungous family calls for computer trouble, I've been a software dev for several years, etc. So basically, you can skip asking me if the DVD is in the drive right side up lol. (Hence the extremely long post).

Anyway, I hope someone on here can help me because the only other thing I can try is a new DVD drive. And seeing how my current DVD burner can still burn CDs and DVDs flawlessly, as well as read them too, I am skeptical.
January 1, 2009 5:12:08 AM

In BIOS, set the DVD drive to be the 'first' boot device. Place the Vista installation DVD in the tray and close it. Save and exit BIOS. When the system reboots you will see the message, "Press any key to boot from CD" press any key then. The Vista installation should start.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918884

Method 2: Perform a clean installation of Windows Vista by starting the computer from the Windows Vista DVD

Note The computer must be configured to start from the DVD drive. For information about how to configure the computer to start from the DVD drive, see the documentation that is included with the computer. Or, contact the computer manufacturer.

To perform a clean installation of Windows Vista by starting the computer from the Windows Vista DVD, follow these steps:

Start the computer.
Insert the Windows Vista DVD into the DVD drive and then close the drive tray.
Restart the computer.
When you receive the "Press any key to boot from CD" message, press a key.
Follow the instructions to install Windows Vista.
If Windows Vista is now running on your computer, you have completed the installation successfully.

January 1, 2009 4:11:45 PM

Thanks but I have already done all that. The DVD drive is set to first in boot order, the disc is in the drive when the computer is booting, and it never comes up with the "press any key to boot from cd..." text. It waits about 20-30 seconds while the dvd drive light is on, but the drive isn't spinning. After that, it skips it and moves on.

I have tested the disc in other pc's and it works
I have tried other discs in the dvd drive and they work.

I have searched the internet as much as I can but I've found nothing.
Related resources
January 13, 2009 3:25:41 PM

Ok im having a very simular issue. and i have been looking all over online to find a fix from several peoples posts. this is what i have found out so far. everyone keeps giving the simplest solution and its not the correct one. there is something wrong with the M.B.R.(master boot record) in either the dvd drive itself or the motherboard bios. on some rarre occasions i have heard of a virus finding its way into the M.B.R. and messing it all up. so far i have yet to find a fix. someone told me to clear cmos and reload the bios but it didnt work for me either. im going to try another dvd drive and see if this helps. i will post my results jan 14th 2009.

if after that it still doesnt work im going to take it to the damn geek squad and have them run a diagnostic. hopefully by then i will have some answers.
February 23, 2009 12:29:47 AM

Also having the same issue. My drive works fine with other DVDs, including a 32 bit version of Vista, 64 bit Ubuntu 8, and an XP sp1 disc. The 64 bit Vista DVD works fine in other drives, but not on this one. I've tried all of the above suggestions including but not limited to:
clearing CMOS/updating BIOS

adjusting Jumper on DVD drive - master, slave, auto... doesnt matter.
manually selecting DVD from boot menu after hitting f8
disabling onboard controller and using an add-in controller card.
total format/fresh install of XP and reading vista disc from inside XP - DVD drive still wont read disc.

My next moves will be to: 1) try another DVD drive in the system, and 2) move this drive into another system and try the disk there.
!