Sign in with
Your question

Floppy Disk Drive Problem

Last response: in Storage
June 28, 2010 5:42:14 PM

Hello, today ive put in an old floppy disk drive (FDD) into my PC.
I had some troubles with all cables and bios configurations, but ive solved them all.
Windows 7 Ultimate now recognizes the FFD, but i cant write/read/format a floppy.
Ive built it inside my PC (so no usb configuration), and ive never used a floppy on this pc before.
I'm really stuck now, could anyone help?
Thanks in advance,
Dmen

PS: I didnt know what forum to put this, please correct me if i choose the wrong one.

My system:
AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200+
4x1Gb DDR2-533
MSI Radeon 4670 PCI-e 1Gb DDR3
360Gb HDD 7600rpm Seagate
Packard-Bell Mobo (yep i know, its a shame...)
Two IDE dvd burners
Noname brand 250W psu
And a WORKING FDD (got it from an old windows 2000 PC, and it worked!)

More about : floppy disk drive problem

June 28, 2010 8:28:08 PM

anyone?
a c 130 G Storage
June 28, 2010 9:43:12 PM

Is the drive making any attempts to read the floppy? Making noise, vibrations?
Have you only tried one floppy disk?
Check to make sure your data cable is not backwards (stripe on the end of the cable is nearest the power plug).

You can probably purchase a USB external floppy drive for fairly cheap, that should take care of your issues.
Related resources
June 29, 2010 6:37:56 AM

hang-the-9 said:
Is the drive making any attempts to read the floppy? Making noise, vibrations?
Have you only tried one floppy disk?
Check to make sure your data cable is not backwards (stripe on the end of the cable is nearest the power plug).

You can probably purchase a USB external floppy drive for fairly cheap, that should take care of your issues.

Yes it trys to read the floppy, but he just gives an error.
Ive tried multiple floppys that work on my other xp pc.
The data cable is connected correctly, i suspect its a driver problem...
a b G Storage
June 29, 2010 8:14:52 AM

It seems to be a common problem with W7, some seem to work but a lot don't, I have yet see a fix that works for all, USB floppy drives don't seem to suffer.
Best option seems to be, if you can get access to a pc with a working floppy, transfer the files onto a usb device. Otherwise invest in a usb floppy drive.
June 29, 2010 8:29:00 AM

Jonmor68 said:
Best option seems to be, if you can get access to a pc with a working floppy, transfer the files onto a usb device. Otherwise invest in a usb floppy drive.

What files, could you try to be a bit more specific?
a c 130 G Storage
June 29, 2010 2:03:50 PM

dmen said:
What files, could you try to be a bit more specific?

Well, whatever you are trying to use the floppy disk for. Those things are not too good to keep using, they are very unreliable after long periods of use. You should get the data on them to a flash drive and then keep the floppy disks put away just in case.
June 29, 2010 5:34:55 PM

My floppy disk drive is now working like a charm.
I got a sfloppy.sys from a windows vista pc, and put it in my windows 7 drivers map.
Thanks all.
!