Can i restore my toshiba canvio to a new hard drive

connielela

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
my hard drive has crashed and is not longer usable. How do I restore my Toshiba Canvio, which i used for my backups to the new HD I am going to install? Gateway 825 computer

A lot of Toshiba have proprietary firmware installed on the hard drive. You will not be able to change it unless you buy the drive from Toshiba. Also a lot of Toshiba's refuse to load windows software, unless it's the proprietary Toshiba / microsoft version.
Hardware software on laptops is not standardized, although some manufacturers are slowly adapting standards. Some manufacturers follow standards, Toshiba I'm not so sure about.
Of course, it's designed to prevent you from fixing it, unless you shell out the cash.

connielela

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
It is my external hard drive, Toshiba Canvio which I was using to backup my Gateway 825gm system (Windows XP). The Gateway hard drive is no longer good. I need to restore all my files from the Toshiba Canvio external drive to a new system hard drive. I used NTI Backup Now EZ software (which came with the Canvio) to backup my system. I need step-by-step instructions on how to do this. I have tons of pictures and Works files on the Canvio which I really need to restore.
HELP...........:(

connielela

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011

I ended up formatting the Toshiba drive and installed Norton 360 back up on it and connected it to my partenrs laptop. She is using it for backig up her laptop