Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Why is my Memory benchmarking so low?

Last response: in Memory
Share
May 17, 2009 4:57:14 AM

hello

I purchased 2x 2 gigs of G.Skill's 1066 MHz DDR2 PC Ram, recently i decided to benchmark my system in comparison to my friend's system using Passmark's software: PassMark Preformance Test witch can be found here, for those of you who are avid with this software will know that when i say my memory got a 330 memory mark score you will know that is terrible. my friend ran the same test on his system and scored a 913 with 800 MHz DDR2 PC Ram. Then to test to see if it was just faulty ram i had bought i put my RAM in his system and scored a 1110 for Memory mark.

My question is why might i be getting such a low score on my computer but so high on his?
May 17, 2009 5:31:29 AM

Can't tell whats wrong.

I have no idea what the specs or Hardware is of ether PC.
a b } Memory
May 17, 2009 5:34:03 AM

Is your memory running in dual channel mode at the appropriate frequency and timing? Run something like Sisoft SANDRA or Everest and test the actual memory bandwidth.
Related resources
May 17, 2009 5:59:25 AM

Zerk said:
Can't tell whats wrong.

I have no idea what the specs or Hardware is of ether PC.


i have an AMD 7750 dual core 2.7 GHz with an Asus M3A78-EM motherboard

and he has an intel Q9550 Core2 Quad 2.83 GHz and a Asus P5K/epu Motherboard

we both have an ATI 4850 as a GPU.

i ran the Sandra memory bandwidth tests and they said i have 4GB total which is correct but i am only getting a combined 1.6 GHz of speed and as for timings: there are two: 5-5-5-15 3-24-6-3 is that correct? the memory i bought was: Here
May 17, 2009 2:30:51 PM

It's probably not running at 1066MHz on your system. I'd go into the BIOS and manually change it to the 5-5-5-15 timings, 1066MHz, and 2.0v, then rerun the test. Also make sure that they are running in dual channel mode, basically not in the memory slots exactly next to each other. Run one in the leftmost yellow slot, and the other in the leftmost black slot.
May 17, 2009 5:58:51 PM

jedimasterben said:
It's probably not running at 1066MHz on your system. I'd go into the BIOS and manually change it to the 5-5-5-15 timings, 1066MHz, and 2.0v, then rerun the test. Also make sure that they are running in dual channel mode, basically not in the memory slots exactly next to each other. Run one in the leftmost yellow slot, and the other in the leftmost black slot.

i placed one stick in the rightmost yellow slot and one in the leftmost black slot, i got the same results, also how do i change my memory speed, timing and voltage in my bios? i am using windows 7 if that makes any difference
a b } Memory
May 17, 2009 7:42:57 PM

You have them in the wrong slots then. You want one in the rightmost yellow slot and one in the rightmost black slot (or one in the leftmost slot of each color). They should be separated by one slot, and no more.

Oh, and what do you mean by only 1.6GHz of speed? SANDRA gives a result in GB/s - what number did you get there?
May 18, 2009 1:28:18 AM

after i ran the memory bandwith test i got 4.85 GB/s witch in comparison is terrible
a b } Memory
May 18, 2009 2:58:28 AM

That is pretty bad. Was that with them in the wrong slots, as you described, or in the correct slots?
May 18, 2009 3:01:04 AM

cjl said:
That is pretty bad. Was that with them in the wrong slots, as you described, or in the correct slots?

ive been changing them all around, i have pretty much every slot possible covered. and there all approx the same in terms of results.
!