Time taken to copy millions of files from one to HD to another

G

Hi there,

¿Does someone know how much time would take to copy all the files & folders on a 1.43/2.62 Tb full hard drive? It consists of approx. 4.5 million jpeg images. Thanks in advance!

G

¿Oh, BTW, is there an optimal way to do it? ¿Are there any HD that would have a better performance (since this is for a server application)?

G

Haha! Well, thanks sturm! But seriously, ¿can I expect the process to be finished within 2 to 3 days? Because that time frame would be fine for me.

G

I get your point, but I didn't mean EXACTLY how much time, just a rough estimate (will it take a week, a day, a couple of hours) since I've never done such a massive copying. Or at least something like "I have a 500 Gb Sata drive@7200 rpm and last time I made a backup for it, it took me a full day".

Unfortunately, it's not that easy: I'm weighting whether I should run an application I made in the HD or if it would be better to copy the data to another disk and run the application there (since I need the first drive to be free to accept I/O requests without any noticeable lag)

I know my software will take about a week to process all the data. ¿Can you at least tell me if copying 1.5 Tb normally takes less than that?

Thanks

Jonmor68

Distinguished
How about selecting 2GB of these files and copy them to required destination, time it, then work out how long it will take to do the lot.
You will get a much more accurate figure using your own equipment then any guess we could make.

G

That seems like a sound thing to do. Thanks, Jonmor68!