Switching PCIe 2.0 slots

matsamune

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
Heh... I'm a bit noob but please bear with me.. Not even sure if this is the right place to post :p

So it happened like this. I got my system up and running, with no cable management whatsoever. My Sapphire 4870X2 (running on the updated Catalyst drivers off the AMD website) was installed on the middle PCIe 2.0 slot on my GA-EX58 EXTREME motherboard.

So after running it for a few weeks I decided to go about doing some cable management on my Armor+. With that done, I moved the 4870X2 to the top most PCIe 2.0 slot.

Now I haven't run a benchmark beforehand but right now I'm getting 10,500 on 3DMark Vantage. Is that normal for my system? I am now running everything on stock as I accidentally hit the CMOS clear button. So it's i7 920, Corsair XMS3 triple channel DDR3-1333, Thermaltake TruePower QFan850W, and the Sapphire 4870X2. ALL of it on stock.

So does the graphic card drivers get bugged up when you change PCIe slots? I don't know.. But I THINK games are running a bit slower for me now... Is that just my imagination?

Someone please clarify whether the 3DMark Vantage score is normal or not, and whether switching PCIe 2.0 slots from the originally-installed-driver-on-PCIe-slot will affect anything.