Noob question about RAID 0

sabre181

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
I have a quick question about setting up a RAID, I have a 74gb Raptor (I know its old lol) and was looking at getting a second one for RAID 0 but I'm not sure if I need the exact same model number or if any other 74gb raptor will work?

Also, I have reason to believe that my original raptor has a Parallel ATA to Serial ATA bridge rather than a native SATA interface. If i get one that is native, will that have any effect on performance?

Finally, how does cache play into things, both in setting up a RAID and in just a single drive? Thank you ahead of time!

sabre181

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
I looked through the sticky and I couldnt find anything about the Parallel ATA to Serial ATA bridge or about the cache so I'm just looking for some answers really. I looking at a cost/benefit analysis of getting a cheap raptor, getting increased read speeds, and effectively doubling my storage space, so thats why Im looking into RAID 0

sabre181

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
That's interesting that a single 7200 rpm can beat out a 10,000rpm AID-O setup! Do you know why that is? Is it the timings of the F3? I'm just really curious because I dont know too much about RAID/AID and how HDDs truly work.

4745454b

Titan
Mostly due to the density per platter. Those old Raptors have either 36GB platters or 74GB platters depending on the model. The new F3 and other drives have 500GBs per platter. You can spend less time waiting for the read head to get in position by either spinning it faster (raptor) or increasing the amount of data on the platter. (F3, Seagate 7200.12)

The only raptor that can keep up with the newest drives is that 600GB one. When you look at speed vs cost however its not a good idea.

TRENDING THREADS