adriabb

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
I'm planning to build a gaming computer with a motherboard that supports SATA 6 Gb/s. I've been looking for a HDD (both SATA 3 Gb/s and 6 Gb/s) and I don't know which way to go; would you pay for a SATA 6 Gb/s or stay with SATA 3 Gb/s?

Basically, I'm looking for a HDD with no more than 500 Gb of capacity (I always have plenty of space left) and relatively good performer. I've looked at WD product lines but I don't know which one would fit me (Blue, Green or Black). Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

4745454b

Titan
500GB black, 7200.12, or F3 is the drive you want. (WD, Seagate, Samsung.) Don't bother paying extra for "SATA 3" as its just marketing. Thats more for SSDs anyways. Spinning disks can barely fill SATA 1.

adriabb

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010

Any model recommended? Thanks.

adriabb

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010

Ooops! I didn't understand you, sorry. Tomorrow I'll have a look at these HDD's and I'll decide. Thanks.

4745454b

Titan
Sorry. Those are the drives model numbers. The Seagate 7200.12 should have 500GB per platter drives. The Samsung F3 was the first to offer them IIRC. I'm not sure what the WD is, AALS? I don't think its the AAKS. Any of these lines of drives should be good.

adriabb

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010

I've decided to go for the WD Caviar Black 500GB SATA2 MAESTRO. Seems a good choice, only 56€. Thanks.

adriabb

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010

I think so, have a look at this:

SB850 Chipset
6 xSATA 6.0 Gb/s ports Support RAID 0,1,5,10
JMicron® JMB363 PATA and SATA controller
1 xSATA 3Gb/s port (Black)
1 xExternal power SATA 3Gb/s port on rear (SATA On-the-Go)
* Due to the Windows XP/ Vista limitation, the RAID array with the total capacity over 2TB cannot be set as a boot disk. A RAID array over 2TB can only be set as a data disk only.

Anyone knows if I can connect a SATA 3 Gb/s HDD on a SATA 6 Gb/s port? Thanks for your warning, I didn't check it.

Yes, SATA III is backwards compatible with SATA II.

But, no hard drive can saturate the SATA II bandwidth, much less the SATA III. Drive spec say "Up to 3.0Gbps" but you'll NEVER get it. Even my 2x500GB SATA II in RAID 0 max out at 150MBps, roughly less than half (actually 1/4 since in RAID O, 2 drives, 2 ports).

I hope you won't be disappointed with a SATA III purchase...Just letting you know.

SATA III came out to for the "booming" SSD market. SSDs can come close to the SATA II bandwidth, so with evolution, they will go over in time.

adriabb

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010

When I decided to buy a new motherboard I had in mind that it should last 2/3 years. This is why I've chosen the SATA III support, and, anyway, I'll might buy an SSD in the future. A very clear and concise explanation. Thank you.