HELP: NVidia GTX 285 - XFX Versus EVGA ???

codebreak

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2008
Hey guys! Have a quick question...

I'm about to purchase a GTX 285 from NewEgg and see two that I'm interested in.

The EVGA brand that sells for $354.99 after a $30 mail-in rebate

And the XFX brand that sells for $349.99 (No Rebate a +)

Now my first thought was to just get the XFX one...but I was wondering if one manufacturer was better to get over another?

Specs are exactly the same, and I don't really do any over clocking. I do know that some of these manufacturers release proprietary drivers and such, and I don't wanna be caught in a sh*t storm after getting the card.

Honestly the hardware is going to be virtually the same. Maybe like I stated the Fan Profiles. But we can all sit here and debate over who has the best support and options ALL DAY LONG.

People who have EVGA love EVGA
People who have XFX love XFX

leo2kp

Distinguished
...and I've gotten a couple calls from their customer support manager because of a fautly video card. EVGA really does strive for awesome customer service.

rangers

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
ive got my own step up program, you wait for the current crop of cards to drop in price, buy the cheapest one you can find, then in one to two years you do the same again
just waiting for the 4870 to drop to about £110 or the 4850 to get to £80

fergie

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
I got evga 280s and every now and then thy give you free games like Faycry 2 and also benchmarking software like 3d mark vantage after you've bought them.I used to use XFX but now I only buy evga. Had you thought about BFG I think they might do a stepup programme now and are usually cheaper ?

RavenXE

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
I've just bought a xfx GTX 285 (standard clocks) about a week ago... performance of the GPU is awesome... was at the time of purchase the cheapest one but the bundle was weak (No HDMI dongle, no SPDIF cable, One PCI express Power cable and one DVI to VGA adapter) good thing i didn't needed those.

The card came with farcry 2. I didn't try any overclock for now... don't think i will.

I'm a returning xfx customer

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
So XFX and EVGA will still cover a card that has been overclocked as well as converted to H2O cooling if it fails and is covered with lifetime warranty?

sprucebr1

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
I would say you can't go wrong either way. Though I hear something about a double lifetime warranty from XFX, whatever that means, lol. I like EVGA, but XFX has good stuff too (HD 4800 series). EVGA and XFX are likely the two best brands for Geforce cards. with BFG trailing behind. G Luck.

wildgene789

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
well i actually bought the xfx gtx 285 and i must say i love it and the support for xfx is awesome too i called them asked one hundred and one questions and he knew all of them. Im not dissing evga because i bet they are good too but i have XFX video card and mother board and no complaints. O and to answer your question about warranty the video card is covered under warranty with overclocking and you can tamper with the fans just you have to return it in original condition and no physical damage can be done. i know this because i asked them