Does anyone have a Digital Satellite TV Card (in the UK)?

Hi,
Does anyone have experience of using a Digital Satellite TV card, such as
the Pinnacle PCTV SAT, or the Hauppauge Nexus-S cards?

I am hoping to build a media PC - partly for fun/experience of doing it, and
partly for it's usefulness.
I have looked at Digital Terrestrial cards but there aren't really any
channels that interest me - so I would never have anything that I want to
record to Hard Disk/DVD anyway.

I do have Sky Digital - and thought a satellite TV card would be more useful
to me - but from one review I found of the pinnacle card, it seems you
cannot actually recieve many sky digital channels, because Sky use some
special scrambling technique which one of these cards cannot descramble.

Please - if anyone has one of these cards, or any reliable info/websites
could you let me know? I need to know exactly what I would be able to
recieve - ie. which channels I would get.

I am mainly looking to get non-pay channels such as Paramount comedy and
E4 - which are not available on terrestrial, but according to the review I
read it said that even ITV and Channel5 are scrambled on sky digital.

Thanks,
Daniel.
1 answer Last reply
More about does digital satellite card
  1. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    Go to www.woden.com

    Daniel Conroy wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Does anyone have experience of using a Digital Satellite TV card, such as
    > the Pinnacle PCTV SAT, or the Hauppauge Nexus-S cards?
    >
    > I am hoping to build a media PC - partly for fun/experience of doing it, and
    > partly for it's usefulness.
    > I have looked at Digital Terrestrial cards but there aren't really any
    > channels that interest me - so I would never have anything that I want to
    > record to Hard Disk/DVD anyway.
    >
    > I do have Sky Digital - and thought a satellite TV card would be more useful
    > to me - but from one review I found of the pinnacle card, it seems you
    > cannot actually recieve many sky digital channels, because Sky use some
    > special scrambling technique which one of these cards cannot descramble.
    >
    > Please - if anyone has one of these cards, or any reliable info/websites
    > could you let me know? I need to know exactly what I would be able to
    > recieve - ie. which channels I would get.
    >
    > I am mainly looking to get non-pay channels such as Paramount comedy and
    > E4 - which are not available on terrestrial, but according to the review I
    > read it said that even ITV and Channel5 are scrambled on sky digital.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Daniel.

Satellite TV Home Theatre