Sign in with
Your question

Nas choice

Last response: in Storage
June 29, 2010 12:22:07 AM

I have been following NAS trends and prices for a few months now. While there are 2 bay diskless NAS for anywhere between 150 to 250$ + tax and 4 bay diskless NAS for prices 300 to 400 +tax, I recently came across the Lenovo D400, which is a 4 bay NAS, running Windows Home Server, with one single 2 TB for 369.00 + tax +free shipping.

Click here to go to Lenovo.com
Add to Shopping cart for $569 (After $30 instant discount)
At Checkout apply EXTRA $200 off Special Coupon Code: USPD1B621 [Exp. 06/28/2010 or 20 uses][ Make sure to enter the coupon code without any spaces before or after the coupon code. ]
Final Price : $599 - $30 instant - $200 coupon = $369 + Free Shipping + Tax
Note: See here for features and gallery

Question: Why would the NAS boxes from the likes of Synology, Dlink, Cisco, Qnap, Thecus etc which use a stripped down Linux OS be much more costly than a WHS running 4 bay NAS with 2 TB hdd.

Am I missing something here? Please enlighten.

Thanks,
Vishnu Rao

More about : nas choice

July 22, 2010 3:55:45 PM

vishnumrao said:

Question: Why would the NAS boxes from the likes of Synology, Dlink, Cisco, Qnap, Thecus etc which use a stripped down Linux OS be much more costly than a WHS running 4 bay NAS with 2 TB hdd.

Am I missing something here? Please enlighten.

Thanks,
Vishnu Rao

The big things that business level storage devices provide that WHS does not are:
- iSCSI, and
- the ability to get away from CIFS as a communication protocol (yikes)

Performance for home use isn't a big concern. WHS will make a great media server.
But if you want to run a database, or a busy website (or 5) then it won't keep up.
Same is true if you are editing video beyond birthday party quality.
m
l
!