Sign in with
Your question

Your $1250 Build

Last response: in Systems
January 1, 2009 6:09:43 PM

I am looking to build a new gaming system. It's been a long while since I have visited Tom's Hardware and was excited to see they just put up an article for a build in the range I am looking for; however, I did not completely agree with all the choices in their system. To generate ideas for my build I wanted to see what people here would suggest putting together a gaming machine in this range.

Budget is $1250 (soft limit, higher needs good justification)
Need to include an OS
Need all hardware
Viable for several years and/or very upgradeable
Do not include monitor, speakers, etc.
Primary purpose will be gaming
Secondary purpose will be for storing/playing movies

Thanks for your input!

More about : 1250 build

January 1, 2009 6:11:55 PM

first decide between a dual core and a quad core / i7.
then from there you can start to do ur build.
January 1, 2009 6:28:24 PM

I am looking for suggestions here...

What would you select and why? More money in the CPU/Mobo means less for other things. Is the trade off worth going with a newer CPU/Mobo?

Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
January 1, 2009 6:33:32 PM

look at toms november build
January 1, 2009 9:47:11 PM

$1250 willl limit you to this current system, which should last a couple years, more if you upgrade the Gfx card as needed. The I7 system will improve that upgradability but limits what you can get now. I would start with a Q6600, a P45 MB and the GFX that fills the budget.

What part of the SMB did you not like?
January 1, 2009 10:26:25 PM

My recommendations:

E8400/E8500/Q6600
P45-UD3P or P5Q Pro ( I assume you will CrossFire later)
4830/4850/4870
640GB WD (two drives if interested in doing RAID 0/1)
PC Power & Cooling 610 or Corsair 650TX or better (again assuming CrossFire of the cards mentioned above)
G.Skill PI 2*2GB DDR2 800
Antec 900/1200 or any other case you like
Vista Premium x64

Total ~$900-1100.

If OCing:
XIGMATEK S1283 + bolt in kit. (~$45 total with bolt in kit)

edit:
w00t! 7000th post!

January 4, 2009 7:36:26 PM

alcattle said:
$1250 willl limit you to this current system, which should last a couple years, more if you upgrade the Gfx card as needed. The I7 system will improve that upgradability but limits what you can get now. I would start with a Q6600, a P45 MB and the GFX that fills the budget.

What part of the SMB did you not like?

The December build went with a new i7 platform spending about half of the budget on the CPU/Mobo combination. Most of the articles and forums I have read here suggest putting more of the budget into the GFX card. You could easily cut the CPU/Mobo by $200-$300 leaving more room for a better GFX card. I guess the great debate here is whether it is worth doing that or if it would be better to opt for the higher end CPU/Mobo and upgrade the GFX in the future. No matter what, there will always be a compromise.

Thanks for the input. Good stuff to think about.

As a side note, rather than having the various budget builds I think it would be really cool to see three different builds for the same budget compared to one another. Would be nice to see the effects of different compromises...
January 4, 2009 7:48:49 PM

^I disagree with some of the posters who believe that you should spend more on the GPU and not go with a i7. One must consider that LGA775 is EOL. Getting a i7 board is more future proof. The new i7 boards are ~the same price as the high end X48 boards. The i7 920 are about the same price as a equalivent quad. The problem is the RAM. The DDR3 is pretty expensive, but consider this, when DDR2 came out it was ~$200+.
January 4, 2009 7:51:12 PM

without going tri-crazy like tom's, you could do something like q9550, p5q pro, 2x2 gig ram, 640gig wd black, hd4870 (add a second for CF if you get some extra money), dvd writer, case of your choice, etc.
January 4, 2009 7:58:11 PM

Shadow703793 said:
^I disagree with some of the posters who believe that you should spend more on the GPU and not go with a i7. One must consider that LGA775 is EOL. Getting a i7 board is more future proof. The new i7 boards are ~the same price as the high end X48 boards. The i7 920 are about the same price as a equalivent quad. The problem is the RAM. The DDR3 is pretty expensive, but consider this, when DDR2 came out it was ~$200+.

I agree with the main point that i7 are more future proof but there just isn't enough justification in terms of money.

The x58 are premium boards, the i7 is a premium chip and ddr3 is premium ram. You end up paying premium dollars for a socket that is upgradable in the next year and then will be obsolete again.

The only thing that you might recycle is the ddr3. And even then, what if you buy 4gig ddr2 at 60$ now and then ddr3 in 2 years at 100$ for 6gig? You'd pay 200$+ for decent ddr3 ram today, so you still end up paying more for less.
!