32 degrees C with cpu at 3.5Ghz??

hi all . i have a amd athilon II and a M4A785-M ASUS MoBo. my question is this. i am running at 3.5Ghz overclocked and my cpu temp is between 32 and 38 degrees celsuis. to me this is low. and if it is low than should i increase my overclock speed. here are my over clock specs:

RAS to CAS delay: 6clocks

Mem. Clock:470.00Mhz

Hyper Transport Bus Speed: 2350.00Mhz

Row precharge time: 6 clocks

Cpu Multiplier: 15x

Hyper transport Reference clock: 235.00Mhz

RAS active time:18 clocks

Hyper Transport link multiplier: 10x

CAS latency: 5 clocks

My fans are just rear case exauhst and 2 other case fans nothing special.

hope this is sufficient info. any help is grateful and also i have 2gb ram (ddr2) dono if that will slow me down if so please let me know
-Thanks
22 answers Last reply
More about degrees 5ghz
  1. How high does it get if you run Prime95 or similar? If you have not tried the temp is meaningless.
  2. idle temp don't mean anything.. prime/orthos it as simon says, and post back, then someone knowledgeable will come buy and tell you if you should clock it down or push it further.
  3. ok i will
  4. What heatsink are you using? For an example my Athlon II X4 620 is running at about 39C doing small FFTs in prime 95. Its at about 27C when I get into the OS, I haven't let it idle for a while to see how low it will get. I'm using the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus and I lapped both it and my CPU.
  5. ok i used prime 95 and it gets to 57C after 9 tests i dono how many im supposed to do... but also i am using a stock heat sink that came with the CPU for the last Qestion.
  6. Get a new heatsink. It might as well be on fire at 57C. My load temps are the same as your idle temps.
  7. Poisoner said:
    Get a new heatsink. It might as well be on fire at 57C. My load temps are the same as your idle temps.

You get 35c under load while overclocked huh?

OP:

57c isn't bad. Prime95 will likely create more heat than your normal CPU intensive tasks. Unless you are looking for a higher overclock you should be fine on that cooling. Athlon II 'max safe' temp specified by AMD is around 75c.
  8. CPU temps are alright were you are, Im concerned about your 2350 MHZ
    Hyper Transport speed, thats really to high for that MB to stay running at.
    I suggest you reduce the multiplier on it to either X8 or X9 whichever gets you back down to the stock 2000MHz range, a little over wont hurt but 2300 might be to high
  9. thanks all. and one last question what can this athilon II be pushed to? just curious for future. And will adding another 2gb ram increase my performance?
    -thanks
  10. Which Athlon II model is it, you never said?
  11. Raidur said:
    You get 35c under load while overclocked huh?

OP:

57c isn't bad. Prime95 will likely create more heat than your normal CPU intensive tasks. Unless you are looking for a higher overclock you should be fine on that cooling. Athlon II 'max safe' temp specified by AMD is around 75c.

He said he idles at between 32 and 38C. And yes I do get load temps at about 38/39C. I just did large FFTs in prime95 for about 8 hours. I have a screenshot of HW Pro showing my high temp at 40C.
  12. i have an Athilon II X2 250
  13. Poisoner said:
    He said he idles at between 32 and 38C. And yes I do get load temps at about 38/39C. I just did large FFTs in prime95 for about 8 hours. I have a screenshot of HW Pro showing my high temp at 40C.

Oh, I believe you, I was just curious. :) No worries m8. My girlfriend's x3 stock Primes @ 39. Those little Athlons are cool as hell, or the sensors are weird.

I idle at 38-40c and load around 60-65c, I don't see anything too wrong with his load temps. A little high but nothing to be TOO worried about IMO.
  14. what safe voltage should my CPU be at its currently 1.42?
  15. Athlon IIs run very cool with even stock coolers, probably due to the lack of L3 cache, though I wouldn't quote me on that (would I, or did I already? hmmph).

Anyway, the Athlon IIs have the same recommended max voltage and temps, AFAIK: 1.55v and 72c. Constantly running near the max will lead to a premature death of the CPU, and max recommended volts/temps are more like a guideline for what probably won't instantly kill your CPU trying to boot into it with stock cooling.

My personal limits for daily use are 1.45v, and 60c under load, as I have come to glean that generally, users who run these levels of overclocks are not experiencing drastic or sudden hardware failure. It's not exactly scientific, and the chips haven't been around long enough for long term effect sampling, but I am at peace about it, hah.
  16. Sorry JofaMang, but I have to disagree with you, and warn Green not to run it up to the 1.55v.....AMDs website says that normal operating volts for that CPU are 0.85-1.425V!

http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=562&f1=&f2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=&f11=&f12=

Will show you the overall specs for it.

Regards, Dead
  17. There is a difference between normal operating and max recommended. Normal operating range as quoted there, is the voltage range it may operate on at stock clocks with CnQ on and auto voltage determined by the motherboard, not a max or recommended rating.

As I stated above, max recommended is only a guideline for voltages that shouldn't kill your CPU instantly. Warranty is void if you admit to any overclocking or use of an HSF other than what was supplied, so all those numbers are for those already past the point of having a valid warranty claim. That is why they are a guideline, and not a warranty-kill point.

I would NEVER recommend anyone run that high of volts for anything other than a very short and dirty bench session, and I apologize profusely if that is how it sounded. This is an Overclocking forum afterall, before a toe is dipped, one must know that there are sharks in the water.
  18. so what is the recomendation JofaMang? i am at idle with 1.425V and not doing bench tests or teying to. so for an idle should it be backed down?
  19. O and thanks to all who are giving time in this post :sol:
  20. @ JofaMang,
    Wasn't meaning to just bust your chops, it did read like you were saying run that high.

And totally agree with " This is an Overclocking forum afterall, before a toe is dipped, one must know that there are sharks in the water."

My intent was to save someones hardware from an ugly and untimely death, and I ended up accidentally bitch slapping you. I am sorry for that!

@GREENMACHINE711, Good luck with your efforts, and just as a point of info, right now my Athlon II X4 620 is cooking along at 3.25GHz on 1.4v which is safely inside the RECOMMENDED volts for it.
    So it can be done, but as in all overclocking there is no hard or fast set rules of what will work for each system....eventually its an educated guess and some pure dumb luck that works!
  21. Dude, the AMD temp sensors are all messed up. You are probably looking at the CPU temperature of each individual core. You need to look at the processor temperature. Download a program like PCWizard from cpuid.com and under the sensors tab look at the processor temperature. I guarantee it is around 12 degrees celsius warmer. That is the temperature that you must make sure doesn't go past AMD's recommended max temperature. I was wondering the same thing when my AMD 1055T idles at 19 degrees at 3.5ghz and then I disovered it was actually idling around 34-ish when looking at the processor temperature.
  22. CIB, there is some truth to this but you can't put definite number on what the difference between core temp and proc temp is. My cores with the stock cooler were around 6c higher than proc temp, and with a CM Hyper 212+ are a steady 6c lower than proc temp.

From my research, core temp tends to be much more accurate than the processor temperature, which (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure you will) is taken from the motherboard socket. Core temp on the other hand is measured on the die itself.

I have always gone based on core temp, and I try to stay a good 15 to 20c lower than max spec on my cores. The only reason I pay any attention to proc temp (or CPUTIN) is that I have an unlocked 555 BE, so I get a bunch of zeros for core temp. Knowing that at load I'm 5c to 7c under CPUTIN on my cores makes proc temperature meaningful to me.
Ask a new question

Read More

AMD CPUs Overclocking