Grounding your MB

computernewbie

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
ive heard people use this term, grounding your MB, and ive seen some difficultys when it wasent grounded, what does it mean when you ground your MB, and how can i do it

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Grounding the board for normal use, or while working on it outside the case?

In normal use, the motherboard is grounded to the case by each and every one of its mounting screws as well as by several of the pins in a standard 20 or 24-pin PSU connector. So long as the PSU is plugged into a properly grounded circuit, your motherboard effectively has a path directly to the earth and to every other "grounded" object resting on or in the planet.

If you remove the motherboard from the case for service or just to admire, you want to ensure that it is protected from random static discharges. This typically involves placing the motherboard on an anti-static surface (such as the anti-static bag that it was packaged in) and by you - the technician - wearing an anti-static wriststrap such as this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16899339002. In other words, don't worry so much about grounding the motherboard, but do ground the technician. :)

computernewbie

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
yeah i meant the board for normal use, i was reading around on some kind of post and the guy hadnt put in a screw, and apperently he couldent boot his comp, just wanted to ask lol

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

That's not normal. The normal problem is when someone puts in an EXTRA standoff and it grounds a hot circuit on the back side of the board.

computernewbie

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
now, how do u manage to stick an extra standoff?

while im at it, do MB's stay screwed on the back case wall like parallel to each other, or can u use stand offs to elevate it 1 inch from it

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

The standoffs that come with the case are designed with a specific height so that your rear panel I/O ports line up with the holes in the I/O shield, and your cards can be inserted securely.

As for putting in "too many " standoffs, cases come with many holes for different motherboards and the most common mistake occurs when changing motherboards. Many full-ATX motherboards used to have 4 standoffs at the rear edge, but most of today's boards only have three, so swapping out boards without noticing an extra standoff usually results in a system that won't boot (power protection circuits).