ATI 4830 question

krisz

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
Hi all

I have a question regarding ATI 4830 video cards. I have purchased an XFX 4830 a few days ago and it runs fine but I am getting artifacts in Unreal Tournament3 and Crysis Warhead in the background. I am running Vista 64bit with all the latest drivers and stuff installed.

Does anyone have any idea what can be the problem? The card is not running hot my case is well ventilated it is an Antec 900 case. I have tried different settings and stuff but it does not change the funny looking flashing triangles are still there. I can even see it on the menu screen in UT3.

Anyone has any idea what could be the problem or if I should RMA my video card?

Thanks for any help in advance greatly appreciated.

krisz

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
If i have the right understanding of what artifacting is than yes that is what it does right out of the box.

What I am seeing is sort of triangles on surfaces that shouldn't be there. Not sure how to explain it. Maybe I'll post some pictures later when I get home from work.

Is it just in one game in particular or everything? I know I had company of Heros had some wierd graphical issues where it would show black triangles where a pattern should be filled in. There were several patches that were not applied. Once I ran them it was fine.

Artifacts flicker alot of times and are usually real brief and random.

krisz

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
No these are look like triangles flickering on top of surfaces. So far it happened in Crysis and in Unreal Tournament3. Both games are using Steam and Steam patches them up automatically to the latest version. Also I am using the latest ATI drivers.

Like I said in UT3 I even have those weird triangle shapes in the background of the menu screen even so I do not think it is overheating or anything like that. I should have tried it in XP to see if the same things happens or not.

Just because it is not overheating doesn't mean it won't artifact. I had purchased a GTX 260 and it would start to artifact after 30+ minutes of play in certain games. I sent it back and got a 4870 instead.

krisz

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
That is my next question because I was thinking of switching over to Nvidia GTX260 instead if I RMA this card but also was thinking of getting a 4870. The 4870 is a lot cheaper these days than the 260GTX.

G

The 4830 runs your games fine, just RMA it and save some money :) That's just how I c it. If you're not happy with the performance benchmarks on the internet in general then why did you get the 4830 in the first place.

krisz

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
The 4830 runs your games fine, just RMA it and save some money :) That's just how I c it. If you're not happy with the performance benchmarks on the internet in general then why did you get the 4830 in the first place.

I am happy with the card except the problems. Crysis is not running all that great but I can deal with that. What I was trying to say before was that if I will RMA the card I might get something a little faster like a 260GTX or a 4870.

Other than the issues I am having the card works fine runs all my games (except Crysis) fine, so no real reason to throw extra cash on the video card.

I was just curious if this is an issue with the drivers or Vista or my video card is crapping out on me. The strange thing is though other than those 2 games I do not get any artifacts or anything in any other games and ATI tool does not report any issues either. I just wanted to see if anyone else is having similar issues with their video card.

LTFuzzy105

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
I have the same problem using a Sapphire HD 4830 when attempting to play Sims 3, Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood, and Pure. Everything else runs beautifully. I can run the original Crysis beautifully as well, but I haven't tried Warhead and I don't play UT3, but have played games running on that engine successfully.

LTFuzzy105

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
I've been all over both the developers sites for the games I listed, as well as several fan run forums for those games with no luck. I've also dug through ATI's forums and website in order to find a workaround or fix. This thread is honestly the first one I've even come across anywhere reporting the same problem. I've posted on another forum regarding the issue and haven't received a response as yet, but am waiting patiently. It's generally good to *start* the tech support search with the game developer's site, and the hardware manufacturer site, but if help is not to be found there, then these more general boards are the only option left for those of us with problems that may not be common but lack the financial resources to just simply go buy a different card. I would certainly just go pick up an Nvidia GTX 295 or whatever happens to be the next greatest thing these days (it's hard to tell in the GPU market anymore) if I could afford it, but I'm stuck with what I've got.

As a side note, I've tried rolling back my drivers, I've tried using the newest drivers from the ATI site, as well as the newest drivers from the Sapphire site, none of which worked.