Dolby Digital Live Sound Card

Tags:
  • Sound Cards
  • Dolby
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
March 30, 2009 3:02:52 PM

Hi, I am thinking of buying a new sound card and was thinking of the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium pro because it outputs Dolby Digital and I can hook it up to my receiver. It would generally be used for gaming and watching movies.

I currently have a Trust 7600 sound card which does have dolby digital live encoding but it isn't a great card and the sound quality is pretty poor. When i play games with the same speakers through the DD reciever the quality is notably worse when compared with say the xbox 360, especially the bass output.

I've been looking around and am a little worried there wouldn't be much difference between the trust 7600 card i own and the X-Fi, as they both encode dolby digital using the same encoding software (perhaps different versions?). Just wondering if that is the case, or whether I would definetly see some improvement?

Cheers
Dave

More about : dolby digital live sound card

March 30, 2009 4:28:26 PM

Most cards can encode to DD without any issues. ASUS Xonar's can (I recommend the D2/D2X), heck, even my Razer Barracuda can encode to DD.

Decoding is another story however, especially with an optical input...my advice on that front is to go through a receiver.
Related resources
March 30, 2009 5:25:46 PM

Thanks for the reply but i was a bit vague with my question.

I listen to everything from my pc through my receiver, and i realise this is a pretty dumb question but some things i've read seem to suggest that any card that has Dolby Digital Live encoding will pretty much produce the same audio quality. So though DDL the trust card will be more or less the same as the X-Fi.

I guess i'm asking whether the X-Fi card will be worth upgrading from my trust card, if i listen to everything through DDL and my dolby receiver.

It seems likely it would be better with the expensive X-Fi card, but I read a few things that worried me a little, and thought i would just check.

March 30, 2009 5:27:16 PM

I'm assuming the X-Fi does dolby digital live, which the creative websites seems to suggest.
March 30, 2009 8:29:36 PM

I would imagine there would be some quality increase, but probably not enough to warrent an upgrade.
March 30, 2009 10:24:45 PM

Ok cheers, so i guess nowhere near the increase of analogue output from the trust card to the x-fi titanium?
March 30, 2009 11:03:38 PM

I mean that through DDL and a receiver the output increase from the Trust 7600 to the X-fi would be nowhere near the increase in quality i would get from the analogue output between the two cards?
March 30, 2009 11:04:20 PM

I mean that through DDL and a receiver the output increase from the Trust 7600 to the X-fi would be nowhere near the increase in quality i would get from the analogue output between the two cards?
!