Sign in with
Your question

500W Apevia PS Sufficient for 4850 1G?

Last response: in Components
March 30, 2009 3:21:12 PM

I'm building a friend a computer and I found a cool APEVIA case that also comes with a 500 watt PSU. Here are the stats:

AC INPUT
115V/230V - 60/50Hz
DC OUTPUT
+3.3V
+5V
+12V1
+12V2
-12V
-5V
+5VSB
500W
Max
Combined
Watts
25A
30A
16A
18A
0.6A
0.6A
2.6A
500W

(It didn't exactly paste right, its in a table, I don't really know what it means, but here is the link to the info:
http://www.apevia.com/ProductsInfo.asp?KEY=X-Qboii-BK/5... )

The rest of the system is a Phenom 9950, 6 gigs RAM, Asus motherboard, etc.... not sure if the other components play a factor. I'm wondering is this power supply good enough to handle the video card and the rest of the computer or should I just buy another one? Part of the allure of buying this case was that it came with a PS but if that PS isn't good enough I'll just buy the case and PS seperately.
March 30, 2009 5:33:23 PM

It probably be OK voltage wise but only 2 SATA power plugs is FAIL! Id look at a quality 500 watt or better PSU. Corsair, PCP&C, Seasonic, CWT, Antec, Enermax, are all good brands.
March 31, 2009 12:02:46 AM

So that means one plug goes to video card....one to hard drive... DVD-RW is left out in the dust?
a c 248 ) Power supply
March 31, 2009 12:25:44 AM

NO! A SATA power cable is not connected to a video card. A SATA power cable is connected to a SATA device such as a SATA hard disk drive or a SATA optical drive.

A PCI Express power cable is connected to a video card. A video card might require a 6 pin, or 8 pin PCI Express power cable. It just depends on the type of video card.

The power supply that comes with that Apevia pc case is not all that good. You might want to consider buying a case without a pc. Purchase a high quality psu such as Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, or Seasonic. All three brands consistently earn high marks in technical reviews and comparisons. They are high quality units that are very stable and reliable. Those are also the three brands most often recommended by veteran posters at this forum.

A video card is a very important factor in selecting a power supply because a video card typically requires more watts and amps that all of the other components combined. Which video card were you going to install in the system?
a c 248 ) Power supply
March 31, 2009 12:26:02 AM

OOPS! Accidental double post!
a c 144 ) Power supply
March 31, 2009 4:09:46 PM

A good 500 watt PSU is enough to run a 4850. However, "good Apevia" is an oxymoron.
!