GA-EP45-UD3P: Can I do single-disk JBOD (not concatenate)

volcs0

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
I just purchased a Sans Digital Towerraid TR4M.

Link

The included SiL-3132-based PCIe Port Multiplier card does hot have updated drivers for my system (Mac OS X 10.5.6).

My motherboard, a GA-EP45-UD3P comes with an eSATA connector, which I have connected to the (purple) GSATA ports. I've tried all manner of settings in the BIOS (RAID/IDE, AHCI, IDE), but I cannot get my desired setup to work.

What I really want is JBOD, but not concatenate. I want all four discs to be mounted individually. This is how the included card works, but the outdated drivers cause kernel panics. I'd rather use the onboard RAID functionality, obviously.

When I set the BIOS to AHCI, only the drive in the first slot in the enclosure shows up. When I set it to IDE, nothing shows up. When I set it to RAID/IDE, nothing shows up - but when I enter the RAID utility, the first drive shows up only (probably because the four drives in there are of differing capacities). Anyways, I just want all four drives to be mounted separately.

Any advice on getting this to work is appreciated.

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
This is not my area of expertise, but it appears to me that you are certainly not going to get anywhere trying to use your motherboard's GSATA ports.

Since the included eSata adapter board does not have Mac drivers available, your best option is probably to purchase a suitable card which does have Mac support, like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816150027.

Disclaimer: I don't know if this will actually work, but I think its a good guess...

TRENDING THREADS