Sign in with
Your question

P5n32 e sli

Last response: in Motherboards
May 18, 2009 5:38:30 AM

hello all am new here and wondering how can you tell what components are compatible with a mobo for example I have an asus p5n 32 e sli about three years old I purchased core 2 quad Q9400 and some corsair mem ddr2 800 on the asus sit they tell me that these wont work with this mobo core 2 quad q6600 and dual core 6850 are the max it can handle for the mem its basically the same so how coul I tell whats compatable with this board? or if I were to go with another board what would be compatable with that? THank you :cry: 

More about : p5n32 sli

May 18, 2009 5:29:40 PM

I don't see why it wouldn't be compatible... they're both 1333 fsb. Just means that you won't be able to overclock. the p5n3 sli is pretty old though... you might want to try something with 1600 or higher fsb, like the p5q, although I wouldn't use it because the 24pin atx is right in the middle of the board ><
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 18, 2009 9:55:25 PM

P5N32-E SLI is a really bad motherboard, I had one and I'm glad it's gone. My suggestion would be to try and sell it and get something else.
May 19, 2009 4:04:12 AM

agree with ausch30

ok my bad, thanks for correcting me chinh_n, i was too lazy to google :lol: 
a b V Motherboard
May 19, 2009 4:17:27 AM

cris17 said:
hello all am new here and wondering how can you tell what components are compatible with a mobo for example I have an asus p5n 32 e sli about three years old I purchased core 2 quad Q9400 and some corsair mem ddr2 800 on the asus sit they tell me that these wont work with this mobo core 2 quad q6600 and dual core 6850 are the max it can handle for the mem its basically the same so how coul I tell whats compatable with this board? or if I were to go with another board what would be compatable with that? THank you :cry: 

Intel didn't give NVIDIA the full spec changes for the new cores, so 680i chipsets don't support later Quad cores. They do support later dual cores as well as early (6xxx series) duos and quads.

I don't know what these guys are going on about, it's a fine board. The P5N32-E uses the same PCB as the Striker Extreme, which was highly praised, and is only missing a few minor components by comparison.

Now the P5N-E SLI was a completely different board, utter trash.

Anyway, you'd need to upgrade to a 780i or 790i to keep all the chipset features and use the newer quad-core processor. But if you don't really need SLI, the P45 and X48 are better chipsets.
May 19, 2009 5:00:02 AM

ops... misread the p5n32-e as p5ne sli :lol:  my bad *slaps head*
May 19, 2009 5:49:12 AM

The P5N32E-SLI motherboard is tempramental when it comes to overclocking and, no it does not support 45nm quadcores. If you look at the Asus website you would see that the P5N32E-sli isn't supported anymore and has been that way since last year. I gave mine up last September when I picked up a Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L. The northbridge on the mb would get so hot at times it wasn't funny when you overclocked it.
May 21, 2009 5:44:57 AM

Thank you all for your input Im thinkin of going with the evga 790i ultra what I dont understand is they also have a 790i FTW so still doing reasearch.
May 22, 2009 2:22:45 AM

Crashman said:

I don't know what these guys are going on about, it's a fine board. The P5N32-E uses the same PCB as the Striker Extreme, which was highly praised, and is only missing a few minor components by comparison.

Now the P5N-E SLI was a completely different board, utter trash.

If you ever owned a P5N32E-SLI you would know what I'm writing about. Random crashes, overheating, instability, one beta BIOS after another (not one of them going to full release) trying to fix the unfixable. I sold my roomate a system I built with my old P5N. It runs perfectly stable at default speeds so he loves it because he knows nothing about computers but who pays $250 for a board that runs great at default speeds?

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTI0NCwx...

"Some 680i Suck, Some Don’t" Not really a ringing endorsement.
a b V Motherboard
May 22, 2009 2:52:51 AM

ausch30 said:
If you ever owned a P5N32E-SLI you would know what I'm writing about. Random crashes, overheating, instability, one beta BIOS after another (not one of them going to full release) trying to fix the unfixable. I sold my roomate a system I built with my old P5N. It runs perfectly stable at default speeds so he loves it because he knows nothing about computers but who pays $250 for a board that runs great at default speeds?

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTI0NCwx...

"Some 680i Suck, Some Don’t" Not really a ringing endorsement.

Ever owned? I owned one for a long time. I got rid of it because I didn't need it. All 680i's run hot, and I'm using a cool-running X48 board right now.
June 22, 2009 6:57:27 PM

I have a P5N32-E SLI Plus
It is a piece of poop
I bought a P5N32 SLI Deluxe back in 2006
It died in late 2007 3 months of terrible RMA service later I get another one in the mail from Asus
put it in and go to fire it up, hmm its DOA
2 more months of RMA'n the second board and I get the P5N32-E SLI Plus
the good thing about it- it supports Q6600 so i can upgrade from the PentD940
the bad thing is late 2008 it starts itermittantly not posting, random BSOD and apparently doesnt like to start unless the computer is warmed up
I overclocked it slightly with the Pent. 940 but the Q6600 is fast enough for now, I don't want to push my dying Asus over the hill.

it has lots of great features, but i think that Asus's attempt to mesh the 650i and 570 southbridge into a super SLI platform wasnt tested very well. I'll stick to reference builds from now on. I'm looking at replacing it with an XFX 750i. XFX has better customer service and email support that doesnt come from taiwan in broken english
June 22, 2009 7:40:38 PM

franchise said:
It is a piece of poop
I bought a P5N32 SLI Deluxe back in 2006
It died in late 2007 3 months of terrible RMA service later I get another one in the mail from Asus
put it in and go to fire it up, hmm its DOA
2 more months of RMA'n the second board and I get the P5N32-E SLI Plus
the good thing about it- it supports Q6600 so i can upgrade from the PentD940
the bad thing is late 2008 it starts itermittantly not posting, random BSOD and apparently doesnt like to start unless the computer is warmed up
I overclocked it slightly with the Pent. 940 but the Q6600 is fast enough for now, I don't want to push my dying Asus over the hill.

it has lots of great features, but i think that Asus's attempt to mesh the 650i and 570 southbridge into a super SLI platform wasnt tested very well. I'll stick to reference builds from now on. I'm looking at replacing it with an XFX 750i. XFX has better customer service and email support that doesnt come from taiwan in broken english

The 750i is nothing more than a renamed 650i. I would suggest trying to unload some of your parts on ebay or criagslist and update to a newer single video card and a board with a P45 northbridge. You could probably get 150+ for your video cards and motherboard, use that to buy a 4890 and buy a P45 board for ~$100. You will end up with a much more stable and overclockable system.
a b V Motherboard
June 22, 2009 8:02:53 PM

franchise said:
It is a piece of poop...i think that Asus's attempt to mesh the 650i and 570 southbridge into a super SLI platform wasnt tested very well.

It's a 680i SLI motherboard and uses the same PCB as the Striker Extreme and that just happens to be the same chipset combo as the 680i LT SLI.

NVIDIA developed the 680i LT SLI, so that just means Asus was quicker to market than the actual company making the parts.

It's a solid board compared to the Striker Extreme, using the same PCB, so anything bad you have to say about the P5N32-E SLI Plus you'll have to say about the Striker Extreme.

These aren't Intel chipset boards. 680i boards have more problems than similarly-configured Intel chipset motherboards. But the Striker Extreme is amoung the best, possibly the one and only best, 680i motherboard. And that means the P5N32-E SLI Plus is near the top of the 680i heap, regardless of whether or not the 680i heap is a heap of trash.
June 22, 2009 8:26:19 PM

thanks, but no thanks, the XFX(also some Evga) 750i has dual 16x PCIe 2.0 no 650i that I've seen can do that. I couldnt live with myself after selling a messed up motherboard to someone on ebay/craigslist Its just not right. I'm happy with my SLI setup and don't care for ATI cards, they have alot of Direct 3d issues with some CAD/3d programs that I use. I'd love to go with an intel chipset, i've always seen them as rock solid and good overclockers, but until they add SLI support they do me no good. I'm glad to see that some i7 chipsets are going to support crossfire and SLI together, I personally don't like ATI (please don't start a flame war) but I think that boards should all support both so its a choice that the builder can make, instead of getting limited to certain Mobos. I guess its licensing issues and Nvidia/Intel fueding that have kept it from happening for so long

the forum poster is trying to find something to run his Q9400 in place of his current P5N32-SLI which doesnt support it. Your solution to go P45 may work well for cris17 If he doesnt care about SLI, but I thought that the 750i matches the features and more to what the Asus board he has contains, plus you get an eSATA port on the back, support for his Q9400, support for the DDR2 ram he must have already.

A note to Cris17- I see you mention a 790i board above, but just make sure you know that 790 takes DDR3, if you have older Ram from your current build just know that it wont work in the 790i, Upgrading to DDR3 isnt a bad plan though, you can use it later someday when you take the step up to an i7
June 22, 2009 8:42:03 PM

Crashman said:
It's a 680i SLI motherboard and uses the same PCB as the Striker Extreme and that just happens to be the same chipset combo as the 680i LT SLI.

NVIDIA developed the 680i LT SLI, so that just means Asus was quicker to market than the actual company making the parts.

It's a solid board compared to the Striker Extreme, using the same PCB, so anything bad you have to say about the P5N32-E SLI Plus you'll have to say about the Striker Extreme.

These aren't Intel chipset boards. 680i boards have more problems than similarly-configured Intel chipset motherboards. But the Striker Extreme is amoung the best, possibly the one and only best, 680i motherboard. And that means the P5N32-E SLI Plus is near the top of the 680i heap, regardless of whether or not the 680i heap is a heap of trash.

Yeah I see what you mean, but i'm not sure I can pass judgement on the 680i itself, but I'm just dissapointed in Asus lately in overall quality and reliability as you can see from my experiences, they review very well because they are usually top performers initially, but what good is being a percentage point faster than another board if it dies in less than a year. I think that the Striker Extreme board is praised for features and performance, which I can understand it probably deserves. But yes they do share the same PCB in fact the name Striker is printed on my board, there is just a sticker on top of the printing that says P5N32-E I know that they arent intel boards, but as far as I know there arent any intel boards that support SLI and 775? let me know if you know of any, I'd jump on that right away.

It would be a very interesting study to see how long different motherboards last under heavy use? I'm curious what companies would rank highest. Crashman, are you saying that in your experience that Intel chipsets are more durable than Nvidia? I've heard people say that the 680i in general is a chipset that runs very hot and can cause issues.
June 23, 2009 12:14:41 AM

franchise said:
thanks, but no thanks, the XFX(also some Evga) 750i has dual 16x PCIe 2.0 no 650i that I've seen can do that. I couldnt live with myself after selling a messed up motherboard to someone on ebay/craigslist Its just not right. I'm happy with my SLI setup and don't care for ATI cards, they have alot of Direct 3d issues with some CAD/3d programs that I use. I'd love to go with an intel chipset, i've always seen them as rock solid and good overclockers, but until they add SLI support they do me no good. I'm glad to see that some i7 chipsets are going to support crossfire and SLI together, I personally don't like ATI (please don't start a flame war) but I think that boards should all support both so its a choice that the builder can make, instead of getting limited to certain Mobos. I guess its licensing issues and Nvidia/Intel fueding that have kept it from happening for so long

the forum poster is trying to find something to run his Q9400 in place of his current P5N32-SLI which doesnt support it. Your solution to go P45 may work well for cris17 If he doesnt care about SLI, but I thought that the 750i matches the features and more to what the Asus board he has contains, plus you get an eSATA port on the back, support for his Q9400, support for the DDR2 ram he must have already.

A note to Cris17- I see you mention a 790i board above, but just make sure you know that 790 takes DDR3, if you have older Ram from your current build just know that it wont work in the 790i, Upgrading to DDR3 isnt a bad plan though, you can use it later someday when you take the step up to an i7

thanks for your reply i went ahead and built using 790i ftw from evga got corsair ddr3 4g total @1600 which i manually have to put in through bios
the p5n32e sli might just be a good board but i decided not to take my chances
so now what i'll do is try to sell it off with some other stuff i have again thanks for your reply :wahoo: 
a b V Motherboard
June 23, 2009 12:28:02 AM

franchise said:
Crashman, are you saying that in your experience that Intel chipsets are more durable than Nvidia? I've heard people say that the 680i in general is a chipset that runs very hot and can cause issues.

I'm fairly certain power consumption is the issue for the higher reports of motherboard failure, but I'm not sure if its the resulting heat at the chipset or the added stress to the rest of the board.
June 23, 2009 3:36:44 PM

to crashman: ( interesting note about the power consumption more watts make more degrees in temps. Alot of older boards didnt make as much heat on the chipsets, the more recent ones have sort of ushered in the idea of using heatpipes on the northbridge/southbridge chips, I'm curious if the life might be extended by placing a small fan on the heatsinks? )

Since this is a thread about the P5N32-E SLI maybe someone here might have some advice for me too?

I've recently narrowed this problem down to the very motherboard of the thread. I've swapped every other component in my case with others I know work, and nothing remedies the problem.

Problem: the computer seems to start at first, all lights/fans come on, mouse/keyboard lights up, and then right before or during the ASUS AI life logo screen it freezes, or goes blank. The case fans and lights stay on, the LED on the mobo stays on, but the screen goes black the numlock light goes out and the laser in the mouse turns off.

If i turn the computer on and off enough times or leave it running in this state for a while then reset it will eventually come on, sometimes it seems like it doesnt want to start unless its warmed up, other times it will start on the first try. It will usually run for days once it finnally starts, but I have had it BSOD once or twice.

Any suggestions? or is it time to move to a new board, From above messages I don't want to spend alot on a new board, I don't want to trade my whole setup, I'm keeping the rest of my parts the same. Right now I'm looking at a 750i for about $129 or a 780i for $149. I have Q6600 6GB 800mhz ddr2 4xSATAII HDD, ATA DVD/RW combo 2 x 8800GT 512mb SLI powered by a 750TX corsair.

I can agree with everyones suggestions pushing the Intel chipsets(I know they are good) but i want to keep my SLI. as far as SLI with Q6600 goes, I am limited to:
650i, 680I, 680i LT, 750i, 780i, and 790i(<--its pretty much out I dont want to buy new ram). Am I missing any other options? and I'm pretty sure there is no intel chipset with SLI and 775 is there? And I don't mean any hacked drivers I mean a board that really supports SLI out of the box.
August 27, 2009 2:58:30 PM

Hey guys I also own a P5N32-SLI and I'm wondering if it will run the lower end quad cores like Q6XXX.I've seen it run a Qx6700 as seen on this screenshot:
http://img385.imageshack.us/i/qx6700onp5n32slipremium.j...
but I still wonder if it's just a fluke or does it actually work.The controversy comes from the fact that ASUS haven't listed this(or any other quad)CPU as supported but I can say that I don't list their website as frequently updated and doubt the quality of their customer support.It's still the 65nm technology and its still socket 775,so I'm wondering if anyone else has experience he'd like to share.
January 5, 2010 12:04:52 PM

urouboros said:
Hey guys I also own a P5N32-SLI and I'm wondering if it will run the lower end quad cores like Q6XXX.I've seen it run a Qx6700 as seen on this screenshot:
http://img385.imageshack.us/i/qx6700onp5n32slipremium.j...
but I still wonder if it's just a fluke or does it actually work.The controversy comes from the fact that ASUS haven't listed this(or any other quad)CPU as supported but I can say that I don't list their website as frequently updated and doubt the quality of their customer support.It's still the 65nm technology and its still socket 775,so I'm wondering if anyone else has experience he'd like to share.

I also would like an answer to that question. Looking at upgrading my processor from the Intel Core 2 6400 @ 2.13. I have the P5N32E-SLE board with 2 bridged 7950 GTX cards. 4 gb 800mhz corsair memory.

I built it almost 3 years ago and have had almost no problems with the board. Tried to install the E8400 45 nm chip. board didn't like that and let me know. Running Windows 7 at 64 bit currently. Would like to upgrade rather than starting over, IE MB, processor, memory, etc.
January 5, 2010 5:57:06 PM

Thinking too am thinking of a processor upgrade; been looking at the Core 2 Extreme QX6850 or the Core 2 Quad Q6700. I know the P5n32 e sli is an older MB but an upgrade could be a quick fix for a little performance. Am wondering what OS or additional hardware changes should be considered if I were to swap the processor. Memory speed and 64bit operating system to take best advantage. Any advice to share?
!