Sign in with
Your question

Can't enter bios after installing new graphics card.

Last response: in Motherboards
May 18, 2009 10:51:09 AM

Hello all. I've never encountered any problem like this that wouldnt be solved with some quick searches on the internet.

I'll get straight to the point:
I had a XFX Geforce 9800gtx, which i changed to a Gainward Geforce gtx275 the other day. Everything seemed fine, i installed the drivers from disc without problem. Then I did some testing to see if everything was fine (Crysis, etc). No problems detected.

So I figured I'd go online to see if there had been released more recent drivers for my card. But to my surprise I noticed that I had 'Limited or no connection' (don't know how to translate it more accurately as I'm running a norwegian version of Vista).

I proceeded doing all the usual troubleshooting, like unplugging the modem and setting it back in, flushing dns, ipconfig, etc, and when I tried changing the ethernet cable i noticed an orange light in the back of my ethernet adapter, so i figured that it might have been damaged by static or something (which i REALLY doubt).

Anyway, after trying 10 different cables, 20-30 modem reboots with no luck. I figured I'd check out the BIOS. This part really puzzled me; when i tried pressing delete to enter setup all i got was a black screen. Figured it was a fluke, so i tried resetting with the powerbutton, but the same problem reoccured.

tl;dr: my computer runs as usual, meaning windows boots like it should.

Problem: Orange light in ethernet port, can't enter BIOS. Problem first occured after changing graphics adapter.

Edit, Specs:
MB: Asus p5n-d 750 SLi
CPU: Dualcore E8500
GFX: Gainward Geforce gtx275 (previous was an XFX Geforce 9800gtx)
Memory: 2x2gb Corsair dominator DDR2 1066mhz (iirc, not 100% sure, and can't check from work)
PSU: Corsair 750w

If I've left out anything relevant, please let me know
May 18, 2009 11:03:49 AM

Have you tried removing the new card and replacing it with the older, working one?
If that one works it may be that the new card is faulty.
If that one does not work, then perhaps you damaged the board (static electricity -- not grounded properly) when replacing the card in the first place.
May 18, 2009 11:18:34 AM

No, but I figured that as the next part of my troubleshooting (currently stuck at work). I'm wondering why this would affect my BIOS and network connection, out of all things. I guess I'm just really unlucky. I also found out that I don't have an onboard speaker (goddamn antec 900 chassis).

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate all input from you guys, as this is my first computer I've assembled all by myself, I consider myself quite a "newbie".
Related resources
May 18, 2009 11:22:26 AM

An odd problem to be sure, but let's put aside the orange LED for a moment.

Ethernet ports typically have two led's, one for connection status, the other to indicate activity/traffic. On my Gigabyte motherboard for example, the led on the left (looking at the jack with the tab-lock on top), glows orange if a 1 Gbps connection is present, green for a 100 Mbps, or off for a 10 Mbps connection. The led on the right blinks to indicate network traffic.

Was your monitor previously plugged into an "onboard" video port? If so, your BIOS is probably still configured to use that port as the default, so when you try to get into the BIOS the signal is going to the onboard video port instead of the new GPU.

Plug your monitor back into the onboard port, boot the PC into the BIOS, then set the correct video display option. On my Gigabyte board, that means BIOS -> Advanced BIOS Features -> Init Display First -> [choose].
May 18, 2009 12:41:32 PM

I don't have any "onboard" video ports. My monitor was plugged into my old graphics card (9800gtx).

And to add on that ethernet port, it's a solid orange light, no flashing or blinking.
May 18, 2009 12:49:25 PM

As stated, solid orange probably indicates that you have a valid 1 Gbps connection. This is motherboard-dependent, but somewhat standardized.

Is your current GPU in the same slot as the previous one was? If not, my answer (regarding blank screen on BIOS) still applies. Re-install the old GPU in its original slot and you may be able to get into the BIOS in order to make the required change. Another option: reset the CMOS using the jumper or remove all power to the PC and remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard for at least 60 seconds.
May 18, 2009 1:01:04 PM

It's in the same slot. But yes, I will try putting the old one back in there and try to access BIOS. You'll hear from me if I manage to get a connection at home.

IF everything works with the old graphics card, what should I do? I want to be able to install my new gfx card, while still maintaining my ability to access bios, as well as internet connection.
May 18, 2009 1:25:41 PM

You may want to try simply resetting the CMOS before you bother reinstalling the old GPU.

Couple of points however:

1) Nearly as I can tell, your new GPU requires PCIe 2.0 and I don't believe your motherboard supports that spec.

2) Your new GPU has dual outputs? If so, are you sure you connected the monitor to the primary output and not the secondary?
May 18, 2009 1:36:23 PM

1) I don't think that's the issue, as it's working flawlessly in windows.

2) It does have dual outputs, but like I said, it's only when I'm trying to access BIOS i get the black screen.

How do I reset CMOS? Is that what you do by removing that little pin and putting it back in place? If so, I'll try that as soon as I get home.

I'll also buy a PCI network-card on my way home from work, just to see if I can get an internet connection at home. so I can continue troubleshooting while I have the computer next to me.
May 18, 2009 1:55:24 PM

The BIOS operates at a very low level, long before most system options have loaded. I won't swear to it, but I'd be willing to bet a donut that the BIOS display will only appear on the GPU's primary output.

Question: during the boot process, do you see anything at all on the monitor? Or nothing until Windows starts to load? If it is blank, this would go along with the probability that you have the monitor connected to the secondary port.

Check out page 48 (Adobe reader) / page 2-22 (document) of your motherboard manual http://dlsvr.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5ND2-SLI/e... for info on resetting the CMOS.
May 18, 2009 2:05:35 PM

Yeah, I see the POST (is that what it's called?) and the "Press delete to enter setup" message, basically everything up until the point i press delete to enter setup.

Thanks for the link, man, I really appreciate your help.
May 19, 2009 8:44:26 AM

Hello again, yesterday after work I tried inserting the 9800gtx again, with no luck. This REALLY makes me wonder what's going on. I was a little busy after work because I have just bought a new TV-set and had to get all the stuff in to my apartment.

Unless anyone has any new ideas, I'll proceed with resetting CMOS today, and if that doesn't work, I'll remove the motherboard drivers - BUT, how exactly am i going to do that without having my Vista-cd at hand?
May 19, 2009 9:10:41 AM

It is extremely odd that you can see the POST messages but not see the BIOS setup screens. At this point, I would have to hope that resetting the CMOS may resolve the problem.
May 19, 2009 10:13:11 AM

Indeed it is. I bought a NIC from the local computer store during lunchbreak (PCI compatible little thing), and will try to connect through that, then download all sorts of drivers, maybe a vista image before I start fiddling too much.

However, if the NEW NIC will not connect to the cable modem either, should I assume the loss of network connection part is due to a faulty modem? My connection sends packets, but doesn't receive any as it is right now (plugged into motherboard).

I'll give the new NIC a shot, if it doesnt work, I'll pick up a new modem at my ISP.
May 19, 2009 10:36:34 AM

I have only rarely seen multiple unrelated failures occur simultaneously, leading me to believe that your network and BIOS problems share some connection. One possibility is that your BIOS has become corrupted - clearing the CMOS may fix that.

Really, I would try that (clearing CMOS) before anything else.
May 19, 2009 10:49:16 AM

Alright, I'll do that as soon as I get home. Thanks for following up on my problem. Two days without internet and I'm already watching TV :( 
May 19, 2009 6:16:56 PM

Hi,

if your videocard have two dvi output, try the other one for your monitor.

Maybe one of them is "default" and that one will only display bios screen.

Regards,

Brad
May 20, 2009 6:34:48 AM

Flashed the BIOS, reinstalled mobo drivers. Issue is partially resolved as my CMOS/BIOS screen is up and running now, but my onboard NIC still seems dodgy. Didn't test it too much as it got really late last night before I had optimized all my system settings.
May 20, 2009 10:38:13 AM

Perhaps I am not looking carefully enough, but I can't find a spot on Gainward's site to download/view a copy of your motherboard manual.

Somewhere in your BIOS settings will be the option to enable/disable the onboard NIC. I'm wondering if there is also the option to limit its speed to 10 Mbps and perhaps that is even the default?

Certainly worth taking a look at - now that you can see the BIOS screen. :) 
May 20, 2009 4:09:46 PM

55795642 said:
Perhaps I am not looking carefully enough, but I can't find a spot on Gainward's site to download/view a copy of your motherboard manual.

Somewhere in your BIOS settings will be the option to enable/disable the onboard NIC. I'm wondering if there is also the option to limit its speed to 10 Mbps and perhaps that is even the default?

Certainly worth taking a look at - now that you can see the BIOS screen. :) 

Found the option for disabling it, but I haven't bothered yet, because another issue has been taking up all my time. My CPU is idling at over 50 degrees and I'm trying to find out why. I have an antec 900 with the fans in standard positions + side-door fan... I'm gonna do some cable management and see if the it gets any better, if not I'm gonna try getting a better CPU cooler.

But this is the wrong board and thread for that kinda issue. :) 

Thanks for your help, 55795642, I'd give you some kinda forum rep if that's possible on this site. :) 
!