Sign in with
Your question

2400 Pro power consumption and more...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 28, 2009 5:25:21 PM

To start off...

I have just ordered an ATi 2400 Pro with a PCI interface, PCI not PCI-e. I need this videocard because my current "rig" can't handle 720p movies let alone 1080p movies. My computer is a few years old, let's say... 3-4 years old, which is the reason why I need the PCI card and not the AGP or PCI-e... :(  This issue limited my choice ofcourse and the 2400 was my best one.

The problem is: the power consumption. I have an HP Slimline computer, not exactly a performance beast. It holds a Mini-ATX mainboard : Asus K8AE-LM with an AMD Turion 64 Mobile (ML-34) processor at 1.8 GHz. If I would have a somewhat decent PSU I wouldn't need to worry but I am stuck with a 90Watt (everything but ATX) PSU.

The first thing I did was check on the power consumption of my computer and ofcourse the 2400 Pro. When I found out that the 2400 Pro uses less than 20 Watts idle (14 Watts minimum) I thought I'd be fine. Ofcourse I wasn't all to sure about the source and the power consumption when stressed.

Next I tried to find out how much power my CPU needed. I used Everest and CPU-Z to find out which CPU I had and I didn't find any series number shuch as E8400 or whatever, it just said:

Mobile AMD Turion 64 ML-34 1800 MHz

I googled it and found numbers floating between 50 and 60 Watts which included power loss over the mainboard. However, it wasn't clear if the numbers were taken at Idle or stressed. EVEREST says that the maximum power consumption is 89 Watts which I find hard to believe since I have a 90 Watt PSU.

Anyway, Enough talking.

Will a 90 Watt PSU be sufficient for a Low powerconsuming system when I plug in a 2400 Pro?

Incase it wouldn't be: I have a SATA hard drive but I don't know wether I can power the hard drive using an IDE power cable. My Harddrive has more connections then it needs, so it seems, so I thought, maybe it would be possible to use SATA for the connection to the motherboard but use an IDE cable to power the hard drive.

If this is indeed the case then I might just buy a new PSU off the streets without SATA power cabels since low profile PSU's with SATA connections are pretty hard to find, atleast in Belgium.

Thanks in dvance,

Tom
a b U Graphics card
February 13, 2009 12:10:12 PM

Welcome to the forums!

Please list all your hardware and how many amps you have on the 12v rails. Look at the label of the power supply.
I will calculate for you.
a b U Graphics card
February 13, 2009 12:13:28 PM

You can buy a supplementary power supply in case your's is overloaded.
!