Sign in with
Your question

Old 80GB IDE to new Sata 500GB HDD?

Last response: in Storage
June 29, 2010 2:08:08 PM

My dad has an old Intel Pentium Machine that had a 80GB HDD IDE/Pata. The Motherboard Blew in a power outage and my dad needs all the data. He had a spare Gateway Phenom X4. So he popped in the HDD but it blue screens everytime. I booted into Safe Mode, and it says Windows Needs to be Activated? I dont know what is going on. Is there a way I can plug in the 80GB IDE to another computer, make a hdd image and burn it to the new 500GB Hdd? I really to get this fixed or somthing. What about an adapter for like IDE to Sata.
a b G Storage
June 29, 2010 2:53:38 PM

when you moved the HDD to a whole new computer, there are a lot of driver incompatibilities, which is why you blue screened. Windows also thinks it's an illegal copy onto a new machine, since most of the hardware changed. That's why it's asking for activation.

You can get it onto another computer as a slave HD or not the first boot device (if the existing boot device is sata for example). I assume you aren't going to try to get the old computer working again? You probably want to back up key documents, not copy the image onto a 500GB hd.
m
l
June 29, 2010 4:21:07 PM

gtvr said:
when you moved the HDD to a whole new computer, there are a lot of driver incompatibilities, which is why you blue screened. Windows also thinks it's an illegal copy onto a new machine, since most of the hardware changed. That's why it's asking for activation.

You can get it onto another computer as a slave HD or not the first boot device (if the existing boot device is sata for example). I assume you aren't going to try to get the old computer working again? You probably want to back up key documents, not copy the image onto a 500GB hd.

What if I have outlook on it installed and need the emails that are there. anyway to save them?
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
June 30, 2010 11:51:41 AM

If it's outlook express, the emails should be in a pst file - just copy off that file. If it's outlook connected to an exchange server, the emails are still on the server (archived emails are again in a pst file). You can probably google for more info, including default location, or just search your drive for pst files.
m
l
June 30, 2010 2:08:41 PM

gtvr said:
If it's outlook express, the emails should be in a pst file - just copy off that file. If it's outlook connected to an exchange server, the emails are still on the server (archived emails are again in a pst file). You can probably google for more info, including default location, or just search your drive for pst files.

It is Microsoft Office 2007 Enterprise. The Email Server is a Pop 3 Server. I tried to copy the entire Microsoft Office Folder to another account but it did not work.
m
l
a b G Storage
June 30, 2010 5:46:16 PM

see this for outlook file locations:

http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup2007.asp

you need to install outlook on the new PC, then bring over the PST folder to the new PC. You can also google guides for migrating outlook from an old PC to a new PC and I'm sure they are out there
m
l
!