Expert eyes needed: P7P55D-E Prem i5 750

TheFirm34

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
Hello all!
I have been reading these forums alot but this is my first time posting.
I very recently built a new rig and have managed to OC my i5 750 @ 4ghz.
However, there are so many bios options for the P7P55D-E mobo,
So I wanted to make sure everything is setup up how it should be before I start stress testing and find out months from now that my BIOS setup was faulty.
Which I'm guessing it probably is.

This is my setup:

Asus P7P55D-E Premium
i5 750 2,66 @ 4ghz current OC
Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler
Corsair 850W PSU
KINGSTON HyperX/ 4GB/ 1600MHz/ DDR3/ Non-ECC CL9 (KHX1600C9D3K2/4GX)
Intel X25-M SSD 80GB 2,5", Gen2 (02HD f.w) as OS disk
Barracuda XT 2TB SATA3 as Storage
Zotac GTX 295

Here is how my Bios looks like:

And this is the CPU-Z with HWmonitor:

So my question is, what should I tweak if anything and what would people suggest I do next.
I'm guessing the system will need stress testing with Prime95.
Also let me know if you need to see other specs/bios options. And I will post em asap.

Thanks in advance!

"Most" of the successful OC i5 750 at or above 4 GHz increased the CPU voltage just above Intel's recommended values, and instead you are really pushing the BUS speed of 200+ MHz.

Ref 1 - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i5-750-overclock,2438-4.html
Ref 2 - http://techgage.com/article/overclocking_intels_core_i5-750_i7-870/2

Regardless, be happy if your CPU lasts a year. I would assume that your MOBO has the ability to [save] multiple configurations. Also,while your Noctua NH-D14 is nice it really wasn't designed to keep a 4+GHz i5 (50% OC) running 7/24, and so I would assume it will be LOUD and your CPU will OVERHEAT. Obviously, run Prime 95 (overnight) and watch your temps anything above 70C-72C can damage your CPU.
CPU Specs - http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLBLC

Just a suggestion, 3.8 GHz seems to be relativity safe, offers great performance, and is negligibly slower that the Magical 4 GHz mark- so have several BIOS settings and run the 4 GHz when bragging to your buddies and throttle back once it's just you...

Good Luck!

TheFirm34

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
First off thanks for the insight.
At this point im running my CPU at 3.8ghz at 1.275 vcore, going to run Prime95 overnight and see how it does.
As for the CPU cooler, it's anything but loud and from what I have been looking at my CPU wasn't even close to overheating during gaming.

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Man, I don't know what the heck that post was, but you are not pushing your processor above ANY of Intel's specs even at the 4.0 Ghz you had posted. You have one of the (if not the) best air coolers out there and it will handle the heat from an i5 at 4.0 Ghz WITHOUT a problem. Once you run Prime95 at 4.0 Ghz, monitor your temps for the first 15 minutes and that will let you know how you stand, but I'm sure (as long as it's mounted correctly) you won't have any problems.

Just to let you know, the thermal spec of 72.7c is tcase temperature (that no software can read) and is widely believed to be about 5c lower that core temps, hence you are safe up to approx 77-78c, with your cooler I don't think you will even get close to that though.

As for the longevity of your processor, as long as you keep your setting below Intel's recommended (which you have) and the temps below the thermal specs (which I'm sure they will be) you don't have to worry about the processor prematurely degrading on you. If OCed computers only lasted a year I wouldn't think too many people would be OCing them. My E8400 has been running at 4.165 Ghz (24/7) for almost 3 years now with no signs of stopping any time in the near future.

TheFirm34

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
Thanks for the reply RJR, I didn't think I was over-pushing the CPU with the settings I allready had either.
Going to tweak the bios abit more and start running prime95 will update the results for anyone who's curious.

Edit:
Well after 30mins of a Blend Prime95 stress test @ 4Ghz this is how the temps looked like:

Gonna be leaving the stress testing overnight and post the aftermath.
But so far this looks safe I guess.

As I seen, RJR loves to argue with everyone and tell people what they want to hear and mask for some reason what they need to know.

What I suggested and what was CONFIRMED by many site testings is that most choose to lower the BUS speed and slightly increase CPU voltage. 30 Minutes of Prime 95 says little, it says at least your system didn't fail to post. I looked at the image and the CPU temps look good and GPU temps are a little high.

{ old story - I used to have a Corvette in college w/an under-hood blower - it was fast, burnt rubber, etc - I remember BS'ing my Dad that my alignment must be bad to explain wearing-out the rear (expensive) tires after 2000 miles. }

"My opinion" if you want to run your system above 4 GHz and it makes you happy in the moment then Have Fun & Go For It. Beyond that, I'd TRY the other settings that I recommended and COMPARE your results. MOBO's have better protection than they did years ago when a mistake could cost you an expensive CPU; hence my cautionary approach.

My daughter wants an elaborate system with at least 4.3+ GHz running 7/24 so I, same as you, do research to find [what it takes] to do it. Every MOBO + CPU + GPU etc reacts differently. Running an intensive game after a few hours just to get a Blue Screen at the peak of play = no joy.

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009

Well, if you happen to read over my posts you'll only notice that I seem to argue with people that are completely wrong, if you fit into that category, oh well.

You seem to be getting into OCing and that's great, but you don't have that much (if any recent) experience in actually doing it to tell a beginner that his computer will die in one year if he OC's it to 4.0 Ghz with the proper voltages and cooling which is completely false as was your cooler comment. Unlike you I just want to give people correct information.

As for your daughter with the 4.3+ Ghz system, you really don't give any details about what kind of system she is looking at, but any system that is built and TESTED properly you don't have to worry about playing games for a few hours and getting a BSOD no matter what speed it is running at. Just FYI.

paigeinfull

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009

Dude don't spam the forums. I don't understand the point of that video, it had nothing to do with anything anybody was talking about. For such a great pc builder you really don't know much about power supplies. You're going to be running over 800 watts easy on your daughter's build if not 900-1000. No experienced computer builder would put a 950 watt power supply in that. As well as the fact that no builder would put three gtx470 in a build over two gtx480. Jaquith it sounds like you have more money than sense. BTW hot daughter ;)

To OP I haven't done much research on the i5 but I would not take anything Jaquith says seriously.

TheFirm34

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
Overnight stress tested the CPU at 4ghz, and the temps never got above 65c.
So I guess it's safe enought to keep it on these settings for the most part.

Thanks for the help fellas!

You are NOT correct about the PSU, efficiency states otherwise. There are several configurations one uses a DUAL PSU, and once final I will verify peak at 65-70%. Regarding the 3x SLI 470, it leaves more options/configurations open and is much better than the more limited 2x SLI 480. There's a cap of $6K, if it were unlimited 4x 480 + A/C for the room. Daughter's w-a-y out of your league.

Sorry, I "could" easily run the system w/a single 950w 80+ silver PSU! (Most people use cheap PSUs; ENERMAX is one of the best) Example, 4-way 480 SLI PSU [note the A/C <=> D/C & efficiency (80+)] - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7epu4oEQVR4

Ref - http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build_psu.html [Certified 3x 470 - ENERMAX REVOLUTION85+ ERV950EWT 950W]

Good Temps! Now run 3DMarkVantage 2-3 times and if all goes well Congratulations!

TheFirm34

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
Will do, only temps that might get high are the GPU ones.
Seems that card is just way too hot for what it should be

Did you OC the Zotac GTX 295? Although, I know that it runs hot out of the box. I've noticed that the temps are always high. If there's a way to get some more air to the card (Front/Side of your case), I assume the X16 is "conveniently" the slot adjacent to the CPU. It probably would be worth the investment to add an adjacent fan.

You can alway stop the test. I hope all goes well and that you'll devise some way to vent more air.

TheFirm34

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
After running the Vantage test these were the scores:

Pretty happy with the CPU score, but the GPU card needs replacing though.
Even though it runs good there are deff alot of problems with it.

For one the card is always hot, the fan at 50% and up makes way too much noise and even the tabbing in and out of games gives a 1sec black screen.

As for extra cooling for the GPU it would probably be a smart invesment but I really doubt it would help too much. While it might get a bit cooler, the fan would still piss most people off when the card is working hard.

Will also need to buy the HAF 932 case since my current case couldn't support having the side fan in it due to the height of the NH-D14 CPU cooler.

Excellent scores!!! Frying eggs hot GPU; over 90C for an extended period is bad for the card (I know you know this).
The [solutions] are 1. Aggravating: 70%+ fan, 2. Expensive: Waterblock (may as well do the entire system), 3. Remove the shroud ($0), 4. Jerry-rig a Zalman VGA ($50+) *, 5. EVGA offers a backplate ($20+) * (* you'd have to verify that it would/can fit). For now, just keep the case open when running a game. I'd tend to agree about the [extra fan] though I was afraid you'd get 90C+ temps!

This type of stuff is part of the game... Like plugging holes fingers & toes.

iqvl

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
You should go for the X58 route with cheaper MB(such as X58A-UD3R) and 930 instead if you were willing to pay for that expensive P55 MB. Ignore my thought, because it is already too late now. :)

Most of that looks ok, but I must stress that you should manually adjust the IMC voltage. Not sure why it's not listed as Vtt as my P7P55D Pro has it as Vtt but anyway, should be the same thing. The ABSOLUTE MAX as stated by Intel Specs is 1.21V Vtt, and you're auto setting is at 1.368V. That is way over, and IMO you're going to kill the CPU's life with that. I say that because I burned out my MSI P55GD65 with 1.28V Vtt. Could just be a bad mobo... but anyway, that voltage is really high. You should consider trying to lower it to at most 1.25V and if you must, raise the Vcore as the max spec for that is 1.55V. Intel states that anything over their max voltages may cause irreversible damage, and they state that within their specs you can still return to stock settings if it get's damaged and it will work although longevity will suffer.

The i5 750's stated max safe temp is 72C. Going over that, again, may (will) affect longevity as well.

IMO, lower your OC and use turbo boost... my set up runs 4 cores at 3.68ghz but I have turbo on so with 1 or 2 threads (such as when gaming) it gets up to 4.2ghz... and all voltages are within spec, and temps are 62C max (only on first core, rest are under 60C)

No problem but I actually just had some light shone on the voltage specs. Turns out Intel revised the specs, and the documentation listed June 2010 now shows max Vcore of 1.40V as well as max Vtt of 1.40V. Very curious, I just made a thread on it so hopefully we'll get some light on the issue but yea, looks like you're ok after all. Unless there's been a mistake somewhere...