Purposely break RAID-1 set for a backup?

Not sure why I haven't seen more talk about this but I am considering the purchase of three 2TB drives for my home PC and labelling them 1, 2 and 3. I will set two of them up in a RAID1 and the third I will keep at work as an "offsite backup" drive. Basically, my plan is to simply shut down my PC at home from time to time, pull out one of the RAID drives and stick this third drive in and let the RAID array rebuild itself. I'll simply rotate drives 1, 2 and 3 back and forth to work on a weekly or monthly basis. Depending on how much data I add or change at home.

Does anyone else use this simple method for complete backups? I'm not sure why it wouldn't work. I assume the RAID array will be smart enough to know which drive to rebuild on top of each time? Or will I have to tell it which one is the "master"? That might be tricky if I accidently tell it to use the older drive as the master, doh! Would most of the onboard sata RAID controllers found on todays cheap motherboards work for something simple like this?

My other consideration was just adding a disk mirror using the built in functionality of Windows 7. Would that be better/worse than setting up a RAID1 with the onboard controller? I would be looking at doing the same procedure, breaking the array from time to time in order to bring the third drive to work and store it in a fireproof safe.

Also, I was considering using the Western Digital Green 2TB WD20EADS drives for this since you seem to be able to run both WDIDLE and WDTLER on them. Unlike the newer EARS drives.

Comments/suggestions welcomed.
Thanks!
1 answer Last reply
More about purposely break raid backup
  1. This will work, and it was actualy done in the field by a projects group I was on when we did a server update for a company with hundreds of stores. They had a server per store, did a RAID array, yanked the original disk as a restore, and put in a new one. The daily data was saved to a separate backup and the spare RAID disk sat in it's caddy till needed, then a full restore was done off the backup to bring the server up-to-date.

Good thinking if you tought of this on your own :-)

Onboard RAID would be more robust and faster, can't somment on the disks though, but WD has a good reputation across all of their models.
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID Backup Storage