Sign in with
Your question

X58 boards, anyone a safe bet

Last response: in Motherboards
May 19, 2009 12:41:16 AM

started of going to build a 750i w/q6600 750 w corsair 8 gigs ddr 2, (2) 260/216 vc's sli,wd 640gb,32c 7200 , xp pro 64 bit, mb xfx dead on arrival, sent it back to td, decided to go with i7 920, with a 58 chipset, Problem- after days of reseach and everyreveiw there are a lot of problems and doa's, yada yada with all makes. at $300 price range everytime I read about the plus's, I see a bunch of negative's from either newegg or td reveiws, can someone direct me to a reasonable gamble.LOL By the way, saw an i720 for $199 today (But only with pick up) and could get a board for $168 dollors,(Hot chipset woes) so prices can be really worth wild with some good choices :/  Tks, gaminggggggggggg no video rendering.

More about : x58 boards safe bet

a b V Motherboard
May 19, 2009 1:21:06 AM

Stop reading user motherboard reviews. People blame their own incompetencies on the motherboard constantly. Most of them claim to be expert computer builders as well.
a b V Motherboard
May 19, 2009 1:40:19 AM

bigdeebird said:
started of going to build a 750i w/q6600 750 w corsair 8 gigs ddr 2, (2) 260/216 vc's sli,wd 640gb,32c 7200 , xp pro 64 bit, mb xfx dead on arrival, sent it back to td, decided to go with i7 920, with a 58 chipset, Problem- after days of reseach and everyreveiw there are a lot of problems and doa's, yada yada with all makes. at $300 price range everytime I read about the plus's, I see a bunch of negative's from either newegg or td reveiws, can someone direct me to a reasonable gamble.LOL By the way, saw an i720 for $199 today (But only with pick up) and could get a board for $168 dollors,(Hot chipset woes) so prices can be really worth wild with some good choices :/  Tks, gaminggggggggggg no video rendering.

I own MOST X58 motherboards, and the only problem I had was my own fault (though I did have to warn everyone else about that one). Basically if you plan on buying the ASRock X58 SuperComputer, don't overcompensate for voltage droop or get a late revision (prefer 1.05) for better vDroop control.

So, except for that one problem my X58's have been good. Probably the best value is the "Cheap" version of EVGA's X58 3X SLI, but feel free to read the $200-300 X58 Motherboard Comparison in the Tom's Hardware motherboard guides.
Related resources
May 19, 2009 2:05:26 AM

evga gets 68% 5 stars which is one of the highest,(newegg) and gets the biggest slice of sales from consumers, an uptrend in the last month has been with asus pt6 deluxe v2, I liked the looks and price of the Ecs black but the oc and bios choices are limited,msi is a hottie, So I was really looking at the evga you mentioned or asus pt6 deluxe, By the way (the cheaper evga, turns sli with a bios update :) , not too strick on price! Just want a board that will boot and recognize the right memory and configuration. will pay 300 for a board but not 4-5 hundred, its getting nuts. thanks
a b V Motherboard
May 19, 2009 3:09:21 AM

I have a P6T Deluxe (v1) and love it. The EVGA board looks quite nice too. You really can't go wrong with either.
May 19, 2009 3:23:42 AM

cjl said:
I have a P6T Deluxe (v1) and love it. The EVGA board looks quite nice too. You really can't go wrong with either.

Thanks all for the advice, I am really glad that my xfx750i came doa, I really can't wait to get an i7 and go sli, with memorial day coming up, will look for a 24 hr deal!!! was just thinking of my first system, 25 mhz/dos wasn't any windows, lol just finding my program that I installed was a big thing. Thanks again
!