Your question

First Cimputer Build Today; Small roadblock

Tags:
  • Build
  • Motherboards
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 2, 2009 4:14:53 PM

Today all the parts I ordered for my first computer build arrived. It was going along great as I installed the power supply, optical drive, and hard drive. I was examining the holes in the motherboard to see where I should put the standoffs, and then i lined them up in piles (standoff, screw, cardboard ring). The problem is, I have 9 holes to be filled, but I have nine standoffs, nine screws, and only 8 cardboard rings. I putting a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P into an Antec 900 case. It has the appearance of an error since its one short, but it also seems odd that the cardboard separators would only go on one side of the motherboard. So, Do I install the screws ignoring the cardboard rings, use them against the metalized screw-holes on the motherboard and omit one screw, or something else. Thanks.

More about : cimputer build today small roadblock

a b V Motherboard
January 2, 2009 4:27:47 PM

I have done lots of builds putting the screws directly into the mobo screwholes. They are lined with copper grommets, and you'll notice if you look carefully that none of the motherboard traces touch these grommets. In fact they route the traces for the mobo clearly away from the m otherboard mounting holes.
The cardboard washers are prolly just extra precaution or to avoid stripping due to overzealous tightening more than likely. (or cracking the mobo etc.)

If you think you have a short issue, try removing the mobo and see if perhaps a screw from somewhere else in the case made its way underneath there. It happens.
January 2, 2009 4:31:44 PM

buzznut said:
I have done lots of builds putting the screws directly into the mobo screwholes. They are lined with copper grommets, and you'll notice if you look carefully that none of the motherboard traces touch these grommets. In fact they route the traces for the mobo clearly away from the m otherboard mounting holes.
The cardboard washers are prolly just extra precaution or to avoid stripping due to overzealous tightening more than likely. (or cracking the mobo etc.)

If you think you have a short issue, try removing the mobo and see if perhaps a screw from somewhere else in the case made its way underneath there. It happens.

This.
January 2, 2009 4:34:21 PM

Thanks for the quick responses Deuce and Buzznut! Now I can get back to the build.
!