Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Crashes while gaming- no blue screen

Tags:
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
June 9, 2011 12:42:13 AM

Alright so recently in the last month or so I started playing games again on my computer. They are older games but the computer is about 5-6 years old now but still handles them well.

Anyway the first two times it happened I had left the game running and went off for a bit and came back to blank monitors, no command functions, and a running tower.

The last two times though I was playing and out of no where the whole system crashes. The sound goes into a playback and the monitors go into standby mode. No blue screen and no errors at all.
Because of the sound I'm not sure if its a video card problem or not.

System specs:
500w power supply (can't remember brand)
AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+ 2ghz
1gb OCZ pc3200 DDR ram
Asus A8R-MVP mobo
ATI Radeon X800 512mb GPU
Windows XP SP3

More about : crashes gaming blue screen

Best solution

June 9, 2011 5:43:34 AM

When's the last time you blew the dust/dirt out of the CPU heatsink?

June 13, 2011 6:02:33 PM

Its probably been 6 months or longer. I have been meaning to give the computer a good cleaning.
m
l
Related resources
June 23, 2011 3:26:33 PM

Best answer selected by draco_dun.
m
l
July 11, 2011 12:53:02 AM

Well played a game recently and it didn't fix it. This time however the computer restarted. I wasn't on it when it did so unsure if their was an error displayed.

Will try to duplicate the problem but any insight until then is appreciated.
m
l
July 11, 2011 2:45:01 AM

First, update the video driver. If that still doesn't solve it, open the case and reseat the video card. Failing that, see if any of your friends have a spare video card you can drop into the machine. The card is either not seated properly, or dying.
m
l
!