Gateway FX6800-09 w/i7 processor

G

I just got a Gateway FX6800-09 with the Intel i7 920 processor, 6 GB DDR3 RAM and Vista 64 bit. I have found that the programs I use most often will not work on this PC but will work on my older Vista 32 bit PC. Also, some of my hardware has Vista 32 bit drivers but not Vista 64 bit. I thought I could just set up a dual boot system and bought a Vista 32 bit OEM version from Amazon. However, I have tried repeatedly to install the 32 bit Vista but the installation gets to the very last step on that screen with the check list and after a bit gives a blue screen that goes by too quickly to read indicating that Windows is shutting down to protect my computer. I next tried to load Windows XP from the Ultimate Boot CD. It was in the process of loading and running Windows XP but then came to a blue screen saying that Windows was shut down to prevent damage to my PC. I was able to reload the Gateway Vista 64 bit system from the recovery disks and it still works. Gateway tech support will not help me. Does anyone know what could be the problem? Could I solve this problem by replacing the motherboard with the ASUS P6T Deluxe? The full specs for this Gateway computer are on Gateways website http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668249.php .

rav3n

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
Try deletting every partition on the hard drive when installing vista. If you do this though you wont be able to use the factory recovery thing so you decide if its worth it.