Cpu Voltage not changing in CPUZ as i change in bios

mltno

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
Hi Im running a 1055t and MSI 890GXMG65
Im changing the cpu voltage in my bios the field labeled CPU VOLTAGE, but after changing it, cpuz and coretemp keeps reporting VID as 1.375 regardless of what i enter in bios.
Theres 4 fields to change voltage for CPU in bios which the only correct one im assuming is one im changing
CPU VDD VOLTAGE
CPU_NB VDD VOLTAGE
CPU VOLTAGE Im changing this one
CPU_NB VOLTAGE
Hopefully someone can explain this been doin trial and error to try to get this past 3.5GHz.
Also since i know i would have to lower my ddr speed from current 1667 to around low 1400s to achieve an increase of 200mhz for the processor is it worth it. Basically how important is ram speed compared to processor speed.
Thanks

Adroid

Distinguished
VID Is the default amount of minimum voltage required to get a chip to run, set from the factory.
Theoretically chips with a lower factory VID are able to overclock higher, not sure if that is proven. BUT I will say my q6600 VID is 1.375 and I can't get is stable much past 3.0ghz unless I turn voltages too high. If you read threads, people with 1.2 VID and lower seem to sometimes get outrageously high Overclocks, with much less voltage than people with higher VIDs.

The short answer to your question - it doesn't matter how much you change the voltages in your bios, your VID will not change.

VID is a factory setting, telling the motherboard the minimum required voltage it needs to operate. And as this varies from chip to chip, lower is better for overclocking supposedly.

mltno

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
thanks im getting kind of confused though i noticed if i change CPU VDD Voltage and CPU Voltage to the same number it will change what is reported in cpuz VID. I changed it down to 1.35 instead of default 1.375.
So basically for CPU VDD VOLTAGE and CPU VOLTAGE do i need to change both of these to the same number to get required voltage needed for my overclock ?
Also i had to raise my CPU NB Voltage to be able to boot into windows past 3.8ghz and few minutes of prime seems fine.
My current settings are
CPU VDD VOLTAGE AND CPU VOLTAGE are at 1.387 and CPU NB VOLTAGE AND CPU NB VDD VOLTAGE are at 1.3
Running 272x 14 = 3.8 ghz and ddr3 memory running at 1450mhz.
I cant seem to get it past this ghz even when raising cpu to 1.475, should i raise cpu nb voltage more to achieve ?
Are the voltages i posted safe ?? are CPU VDD VOLTAGE AND CPU VOLTAGE the same thing and cpu nb vdd and cpu nb vdd the same thing as well ?

mltno

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
Ok have been researching more and have come up with 3.8 ghz stable after 1.5 hours in prime, but here are my settings.
272 FSB x 14 = 3808 MHZ
DDR3 running at 1450MHZ
CPU VDD VOLTAGE = 1.4
CPU _ NB VOLTAGE = 1.3
HT Link and NB Frequency both at 2176
I noticed dropping down the NB Voltage to 1.25 made me crash prime so I will be testing it at 1.275
Max temp reached was 50C in coretemp and in hwmonitor my TMPINO0 max was 62C.
Now i cant seem to find what the safest voltage on CPU NB could be, as it looks like i might have to push it further to reach 4GHZ.
Any recommendations or insight ?
Now my goal is to reach 4 GHz

cib24

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
I have the same board and samd processor and I to notice absolutely no difference when changing the cpu voltage. I have to change the cpu vdd voltage to see a difference in cpu-z and all the other monitoring programs. I will try your settings because I can boot at 3.85ghz at cpu vdd voltage of 1.4 but I'm afraid to move past 1.4v since the TMPINO0 max is around 62C as well for me. I heard the max temps for the processor is 62C so I don't want to go over that limit trying to reach 4 ghz even though I have been able to boot that high before.

So I guess the question is, what the hell is cpu voltage on this motherboard then? And you are changing the cpu-nb voltage, not the cpu-nb vdd voltage right?

mltno

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
Well messing around with the bios more while checking voltage usage in hwmonitor and i have noticed this board doesnt respect voltage settings we put down. Main setting you have to change to have voltage actually change is VDD but other one also comes into play.
For example if you only change CPU VDD VOLTAGE and leave CPU VOLTAGE to AUTO during prime voltage will rise up a lot higher then i set it, and if you change both of them to same number the voltage will still raise during prime but not as much. Right now im at 3.9 and staying there because TMPINO0 hits 60C after an hour, but by changing VDD and regular setting for both cpu and nb voltage stays closer. I took down CPU NB VDD to 1.2 and CPU NB to 1.216 and its running nb speed at 2500 right now. CPU VDD AND CPU VOLTAGE are set to 1.438 but rise to a max of 1.47 after 1 hour prime, and with prior settings i was hitting up to 1.51 volts max and was running 100 ghz slower!

Try it out and run hwmonitor but youll want to change both settings close to each other to have more control of voltage but that will mean you might of been needing more voltage to hit 3.8 in the first place then you thought.

This is with spread spectrum,turbo,cool and quiet and c1e1 disabled.

cib24

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
You are right, I just checked PC Wizard and saw that my CPU voltage was hovering around 1.47v despite the VID being 1.4v. However, I can't seem to get any sort of stability unless the voltage is at least 1.46-1.47v anyway. My NB and HT are running at 1995Mhz with the voltage set to auto. I assumed that since this is very close to the stock 2000Mhz I do not need to increase the CPU-NB VDD voltage correct?

Also, memory is currently set at 1525Mhz at 7-8-7-24-2T 40 at stock 1.6v.

mltno

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
You dont need to mess with CPU NB VDD voltage unless your going above 2ghz nb speeds.
Im not sure if this is the memory that your running but if it is stock voltage is supposed to be 1.65 and change 2T to 1T.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231303&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3463938&SID=
If not just make sure all settings i mentioned are disabled and just use trial and error and modify both CPU VDD and CPU Voltage