Need help with my pc and registry keys....

bobbbie

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Hello, I think I have really got my self into a mess, hoping I can get some help... had no right going as far as I did I really know ....... very little when it comes to issues
I am having issues with my PC......messages have been appearing when starting up saying no reference to key which was 2 squares , the message I get,windows cannot find (a pic) of 2 squares, make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again, to search for a file ,click the start button and then search click okay would come up again just with more squares. next message would be make sure the file exists on your computer or remove the reference to it in the registry ..... this comes up 9x and has been going on for a long time, I finally decided I will do that....long story short said to remove and I searched it out and removed.. now I can not go online I had just installed netgear days ago and have used it , the netgear smart wizard can not detect the adapter, no internet the netgear smart wizard will not close nothing loaded up on the toolbar where the clock is just the time and my help and support is not running and can not start it????? :cry:

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

Hopefully this will be one of those rare occasions when System Restore will get you back to a point where everything works then you can remove the two squares instance in System Configuration. You might also need to reinstall your wireless adapter but try System Restore first then post back with the results.

bobbbie

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Hello and thank you for your response, yes system restore would be great... oops I did not mention that I went to system restore...OMG it was turned off... I am feeling like something also is going on...maybe a virus.. which still does not fix my problem... and of course I am not thinking it was a virus that put me in this mess.

Thanks Bobbie :ouch:

Use the control Shift and Escape keys together to bring up Task Manager and stop any process you don't need at that moment.

As SR is turned off, look in c:\windows\system\config to check if files exist called system.old or .bak and also software old or .bak and SAM.old or .bak. If they're recent files, rename software as software2 and then rename software.old or .bak as simply software. Do the same with SAM and System and restart the computer.

bobbbie

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011

Hello, Sorry not really following .... went to the task manager.... many things are running scared to shut down not sure what I can and can not......

as SR is turned off ...ha ha I have no clue what you are talking about, not very savvy with computers new to trying to fix on my own or even with someones help..hopefully you can be patient with me and just explain a little more ... Thanks for the help

bobbbie

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011

Thank-you so much for your time.. but I really could not find critical registry back-ups .. so with great frustrations I just kept searching and I finally got to services and turned things on.... oh I am sure I had done other things but not really sure how I got to the point but I did and SR..LOl will definitely be checked to make sure is on...
Again thanks for your time
Bobbie