Corsair CWCH50-1 installation query

Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Cases
  • Corsair
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
June 12, 2010 7:25:11 AM

Hi, I'll have the parts for my new rig arriving soon and I'll definitely be doing some overclocking. I ordered a HAF 932 case, and for the CPU cooler I went with the CWCH50-1 since it tests nearly as good as the V10 while taking up oh....1/10 the space! :D 

My question is what fan configuration the experts here would recommend. I'll be going with a 2 fan push/pull setup (basically both fans blowing air in the same direction) but I'm not sure what direction to face them.

Choices:

A) Both fans blowing air into the case - This is the configuration that Corsair has listed in their installation instructions. Well, they just have one fan listed but it says to have it blowing air into the fins, which would then go into the case. This doesn't make sense to me; Why would I want to blow air through the fins, make it hot, then blow it into my case? It is the equivalent to pointing a heat gun on low setting towards the side fan and letting it blow that nice warm air in towards the cpu. But then again, Corsair says to do it this way...

B) Both fans blowing air out from the case - This is the setup that makes the most sense to me. It is the way the HAF 932 case is designed to function, and I'm not blowing hot air over my cpu. But, Corsair doesn't say to do it this way...

So, what does everyone think? A or B?

More about : corsair cwch50 installation query

a b K Overclocking
June 12, 2010 11:23:07 AM

Test it both ways and see which works best for you, it's not like it's very difficult to switch it around.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 14, 2010 2:29:31 PM

delluser1 said:
Test it both ways and see which works best for you, it's not like it's very difficult to switch it around.

Perfect answer!

I have not looked into the airflow of your listed case. However, solely for CPU temps, bringing cool air into the radiator will probably be few degrees cooler. What you have to balance out is if your can then sufficiently dispose of the warm air in the case so that you don't heat the rest of the system too much. Does that case have top vents and fans?
m
l
!