Wishful Thinking?

dyingbreed

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
Hey all... quick question

Would the battery on the MB cause the computer to not turn on? I mean everything... no fans, beeps, nothing. I only ask because...

I got a comp from my sister about 3 years ago that had stopped working. Power button caused NOTHING to happen. I took it home thinking a possible psu problem and would get it running at some point. Well, I never did. I took the RAM out of it, and t has sat up in my closet ever since.
Fast forward to 3 weeks ago, and I built a new i7 system. The case I got came with a psu, and since I was putting a bigger one in my comp, I thought I would give the old one a chance to live. I installed the new psu, and a stick of RAM, and boom! it fired right up. Did some clean up on the HD and turned it off. I then promised it to my other sister, but I wanted to wipe the HD and go with a fresh install, so I turned it on again and there was a weird error popping up over and over, so I was going to try and restart it, and see if it cleared up. Well... it never came on again.

With a new psu, I think that I have eliminated that as a source, so that leaves the mb itself. But, I was wondering if the battery died and caused the problem in the first place, and by sitting in my closet for years had regenerated enough juice for the couple times it did come on. Is this possible?

Thanks

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Sure would help to know what that weird error was...

Dead battery could mean corrupt CMOS; it would be cheap enough to replace it. Do you still have the original PSU? If so, brand and model number please; also brand and model of the new one.

Onboard video or expansion card?

Any beeps or display at all when you try powering on?