Optical Drive not working properly. Help!

G

Hey guys this is my first post here at these forums, but I just built a new PC last night (my first time building) and everything seemed to go fine until my DVD drive stopped reading discs out of nowhere. I've got an LG DVD drive (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136149). I was able to install Windows Vista Home 64bit from the disc no problem, but not long after the OS was fully installed I tried to load up a disc to install a game and it is no longer reading any discs. The device is still in the device manager and it says that it is working properly, but it def is not. I've tried a few different discs and it just doesn't read any of them. It also does not seem to want to boot from disc anymore as I went into BIOS and set priority to boot from disc with the windows install and it just skips it and goes straight into Windows like normal.

Is my drive toast? I've been reading that if it doesn't boot from disc than you are most likely screwed. Seems weird to me though since it's brand new and worked for the install and then just stopped working.

My specs:
Q6600
EVGA 680i A1 Mobo
4gb Corsair Dominator Ram
EVGA 9800gt Hybrid Gpu
Barracuda 250gb HD
Antec EA650 650w PSU (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015).

Thanks for any help/suggestions!

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
It could be that your drive is toast, but since it is new i'd try a couple of things first.

Unplug device/ manually delete driver / reinstall

Might even do a system restore to see if any updates corrupted the driver install --- didn't think that was a problem with 64 bit drivers but you never can tell for sure.

G

I tried finding LG drivers but they don't have any drivers for any of their optical drives on their website.

I also already unplugged and replugged it into a different SATA port but no luck there, I just manually deleted the driver that windows assigned to it and it totally dissapeared from the device manager list and My Computer, so now how do I reinstall it?

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008

LOL are you insane there are no drivers for Optical drives. There are firmware updates for optical drives but there are no needed drivers for a DVD or CD optical drives. They simply are plug and pray devices.

There are drivers for optical drives . Windows will install them automatically and the way to force that is exactly as described . Remove the entry in device manager is uninstalling the driver .
Once done reboot and let windows handle the rest when it starts the new hardware wizard

If that doesnt work then suspect the drive is dead

G

Yeah I just restarted and it reinstalled the drivers, tried a sys restore as well with no luck. Guess it's dead, this sucks.