Changing XP from OEM to Volume License

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

I recently took over support for a small company where the origional IT tech
loaded all their desktops with a single OEM copy of Windows XP, never
activated it, and now they have expired and all users are locked out of
their machines. The company has now ordered legal licenses under the Open
License program and are awaiting their keys from MS. I was wondering if
there is a way to register these 15 machines with the new keys from their
Open License without having to completely reload windows on these machines?
Additionally, is there anything I can do to get them working since they are
simply awaiting the email with their keys from Microsoft, they have
purchased legal licesnese? As it is now, the company has ceased to function
because of the tech that they have now since fired.

thanks,

Jason
11 answers Last reply
More about changing volume license
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    You may need to reboot into "Safe-Mode" (hitting the F8 key) during BIOS
    self-check bootup.

    Once in Safe-Mode,
    click Start / Run, type
    %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /A click ok.

    The product activation wizard should walk you thru, but you must have the
    license key codes available.

    --------------------
    "Jason" <jdheltne@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

    > I recently took over support for a small company where the origional IT
    tech
    > loaded all their desktops with a single OEM copy of Windows XP, never
    > activated it, and now they have expired and all users are locked out of
    > their machines. The company has now ordered legal licenses under the Open
    > License program and are awaiting their keys from MS. I was wondering if
    > there is a way to register these 15 machines with the new keys from their
    > Open License without having to completely reload windows on these
    machines?
    > Additionally, is there anything I can do to get them working since they
    are
    > simply awaiting the email with their keys from Microsoft, they have
    > purchased legal licesnese? As it is now, the company has ceased to
    function
    > because of the tech that they have now since fired.
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > Jason

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    The only way to rectify the situation is to perform a "Repair Install"
    using the Volume License CD and Product Key. You cannot simply
    change the Product Key because the installation CDs are different.

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "Jason" <jdheltne@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message:

    |I recently took over support for a small company where the origional IT tech
    | loaded all their desktops with a single OEM copy of Windows XP, never
    | activated it, and now they have expired and all users are locked out of
    | their machines. The company has now ordered legal licenses under the Open
    | License program and are awaiting their keys from MS. I was wondering if
    | there is a way to register these 15 machines with the new keys from their
    | Open License without having to completely reload windows on these machines?
    | Additionally, is there anything I can do to get them working since they are
    | simply awaiting the email with their keys from Microsoft, they have
    | purchased legal licesnese? As it is now, the company has ceased to function
    | because of the tech that they have now since fired.
    |
    | thanks,
    |
    | Jason
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    The only way to rectify the situation is to perform a "Repair Install"
    using the Volume License CD and Product Key. You cannot simply
    change the Product Key because the installation CDs are different.

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "Jason" <jdheltne@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message:

    |I recently took over support for a small company where the origional IT tech
    | loaded all their desktops with a single OEM copy of Windows XP, never
    | activated it, and now they have expired and all users are locked out of
    | their machines. The company has now ordered legal licenses under the Open
    | License program and are awaiting their keys from MS. I was wondering if
    | there is a way to register these 15 machines with the new keys from their
    | Open License without having to completely reload windows on these machines?
    | Additionally, is there anything I can do to get them working since they are
    | simply awaiting the email with their keys from Microsoft, they have
    | purchased legal licesnese? As it is now, the company has ceased to function
    | because of the tech that they have now since fired.
    |
    | thanks,
    |
    | Jason
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    --
    For Volume License conversion to Regular License XP product, take a look at
    the article see if this may help.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;328874

    You may need to change at least "one" value in OOBETimer value data.

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\WPAEvents

    > "Jason" <jdheltne@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message:
    >
    > I recently took over support for a small company where the origional IT
    tech
    > loaded all their desktops with a single OEM copy of Windows XP, never
    > activated it, and now they have expired and all users are locked out of
    > their machines. The company has now ordered legal licenses under the Open
    > License program and are awaiting their keys from MS. I was wondering if
    > there is a way to register these 15 machines with the new keys from their
    > Open License without having to completely reload windows on these
    machines?
    > Additionally, is there anything I can do to get them working since they
    are
    > simply awaiting the email with their keys from Microsoft, they have
    > purchased legal licesnese? As it is now, the company has ceased to
    function
    > because of the tech that they have now since fired.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    No, that will not work. That article only illustrates how to change
    a Volume License Key when the installation was performed using
    a Volume License Windows XP installation CD. One cannot change
    from a Volume License version to a Retail Version unless a Repair
    Install is performed using a legitimate "Full Version" of Widows XP.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "jerry s" <js@spam.com> wrote in message:

    | --
    | For Volume License conversion to Regular License XP product, take a look at
    | the article see if this may help.
    |
    | http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;328874
    |

    | You may need to change at least "one" value in OOBETimer value data.
    |
    | HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\WPAEvents
    |
    | --
    |
    | > -------------------------------------------------------------------
    | >
    | > "Jason" <jdheltne@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message:
    | >
    | > I recently took over support for a small company where the origional IT
    | tech
    | > loaded all their desktops with a single OEM copy of Windows XP, never
    | > activated it, and now they have expired and all users are locked out of
    | > their machines. The company has now ordered legal licenses under the Open
    | > License program and are awaiting their keys from MS. I was wondering if
    | > there is a way to register these 15 machines with the new keys from their
    | > Open License without having to completely reload windows on these
    | machines?
    | > Additionally, is there anything I can do to get them working since they
    | are
    | > simply awaiting the email with their keys from Microsoft, they have
    | > purchased legal licesnese? As it is now, the company has ceased to
    | function
    | > because of the tech that they have now since fired.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    So what I am going to do is:

    -Using my volume licensed version of XP, do a repair on my OEM licensed
    version
    -when it asks for a license, use my volume license key
    -Then update all the service packs.

    Question:
    Will I need to reinstall all my apps?

    thanks,

    Jason

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > No, that will not work. That article only illustrates how to change
    > a Volume License Key when the installation was performed using
    > a Volume License Windows XP installation CD. One cannot change
    > from a Volume License version to a Retail Version unless a Repair
    > Install is performed using a legitimate "Full Version" of Widows XP.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    --------------------

    > "jerry s" <js@spam.com> wrote in message:
    >
    > | --
    > | For Volume License conversion to Regular License XP product, take a look
    at
    > | the article see if this may help.
    > |
    > | http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;328874
    > |

    > | You may need to change at least "one" value in OOBETimer value data.
    > |
    > | HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current
    Version\WPAEvents

    > | --
    > |
    > | > -------------------------------------------------------------------
    > | >
    > | > "Jason" <jdheltne@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message:
    > | >
    > | > I recently took over support for a small company where the origional
    IT
    > | tech
    > | > loaded all their desktops with a single OEM copy of Windows XP, never
    > | > activated it, and now they have expired and all users are locked out
    of
    > | > their machines. The company has now ordered legal licenses under the
    Open
    > | > License program and are awaiting their keys from MS. I was wondering
    if
    > | > there is a way to register these 15 machines with the new keys from
    their
    > | > Open License without having to completely reload windows on these
    > | machines?
    > | > Additionally, is there anything I can do to get them working since
    they
    > | are
    > | > simply awaiting the email with their keys from Microsoft, they have
    > | > purchased legal licesnese? As it is now, the company has ceased to
    > | function
    > | > because of the tech that they have now since fired.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    No, you cannot use a Volume License Product Key with an OEM
    Windows XP CD. The Product Key will be rejected. You must
    use a Volume License Windows XP CD with a Volume License
    Product Key when performing a "Repair Install".

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    | So what I am going to do is:
    |
    | -Using my volume licensed version of XP, do a repair on my OEM licensed
    | version
    | -when it asks for a license, use my volume license key
    | -Then update all the service packs.
    |
    | Question:
    | Will I need to reinstall all my apps?
    |
    | thanks,
    |
    | Jason
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Actually that is what I said I think??

    -Using my XP Volume License CD do a repair on my current OEM Licensed XP
    installation
    -when it asks for a key, use my VLK
    -update as needed......

    > No, you cannot use a Volume License Product Key with an OEM
    > Windows XP CD. The Product Key will be rejected. You must
    > use a Volume License Windows XP CD with a Volume License
    > Product Key when performing a "Repair Install".
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    ----------------

    > "Jason" <jdheltne@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message:
    >
    > | So what I am going to do is:
    > |
    > | -Using my volume licensed version of XP, do a repair on my OEM licensed
    > | version
    > | -when it asks for a license, use my volume license key
    > | -Then update all the service packs.
    > |
    > | Question:
    > | Will I need to reinstall all my apps?
    > |
    > | thanks,
    > |
    > | Jason

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Jason;
    Yes, that will work.
    Updates will need to be reinstalled.
    Other data and applications should be safe.
    Back-up important data just in case.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    > Actually that is what I said I think??
    >
    > -Using my XP Volume License CD do a repair on my current OEM
    Licensed XP
    > installation
    > -when it asks for a key, use my VLK
    > -update as needed......
    >
    > Jason
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    How can he back up data if all the users are locked out of the machines?

    > Jason;
    > Yes, that will work.
    > Updates will need to be reinstalled.
    > Other data and applications should be safe.
    > Back-up important data just in case.
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >

    > "Jason" <jdheltne@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > Actually that is what I said I think??
    > >
    > > -Using my XP Volume License CD do a repair on my current OEM
    > Licensed XP
    > > installation
    > > -when it asks for a key, use my VLK
    > > -update as needed......
    > >
    > > Jason

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    ra wrote:

    > How can he back up data if all the users are locked out of the
    > machines?

    Pull it off with Knoppix and use k3b to burn to a cd-r. Or slave the
    hard drive in another XP box and pull off data that way.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

Configuration Microsoft License Windows XP