Solution

If your notebook comes with GM45 chipset, it's most likely unoverclockable.

I've seen this on 2 notebooks I've sold so far, one with Nvidia graphics, another with ATI graphics. Both are useless for CPU clocking thanks to the infernal Intel chipset and locked BIOS. Most notebooks come with that. And if that's the case, SetFSB is what you want to look at. But be prepared to be disappointed, for you will surely find that the TME has been locked. See this guide.

If your notebook has Nvidia or ATI bus controller, then you're in good shape. With ATI you use AMD...

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Can you overclock it. Most laptops have a locked BIOS. Mine does but I wouldn't overclock it anyway since overclocking is highly inefficient. The most noticable effect is a battery eating machine and a very hot laptop to even rest your hands on.

Bad Cyborg

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008

If your notebook comes with GM45 chipset, it's most likely unoverclockable.

I've seen this on 2 notebooks I've sold so far, one with Nvidia graphics, another with ATI graphics. Both are useless for CPU clocking thanks to the infernal Intel chipset and locked BIOS. Most notebooks come with that. And if that's the case, SetFSB is what you want to look at. But be prepared to be disappointed, for you will surely find that the TME has been locked. See this guide.

If your notebook has Nvidia or ATI bus controller, then you're in good shape. With ATI you use AMD Overdrive, and with Nvidia you may use Nvidia System Tools.

On one of the notebooks using C2D 2.4GHz, using Nvidia tool I was able to push it to 2.6GHz before it BSODed. So your mileage isn't anywhere near as good as a desktop set. Benchmark wise, for 3DMark06 CPU score I was only able to get from 2101 to 2393. Pretty sad.

Let us know how your overclocking adventure goes.

Solution