Sign in with
Your question

Good News for ATI GPU owner. DX11 more compatible with DX10.1

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 29, 2009 6:12:11 PM

I don't think so.
January 29, 2009 6:15:41 PM

Quote:
The tessellation unit currently built into existing ATI cards, by the way, is not DX11- compatible, and is only capable of some of the capabilities the new standard requires.

Related resources
January 29, 2009 6:58:33 PM

turboflame said:
Quote:
The tessellation unit currently built into existing ATI cards, by the way, is not DX11- compatible, and is only capable of some of the capabilities the new standard requires.

and is only capable of some of the capabilities
something better then nothing
and yeh tessellator more effective now with DX11
Quote:
Joel Hruska Said tessellator is used in XBox 360 games but has been ignored by PC game developers, even when porting games that originated on the XBox to begin with. The tessellation unit currently built into existing ATI cards

and
Quote:
DirectX 11 Support for hardware tessellation will be an explicit part of the DirectX standard for the first time. To date, ATI's HD 2000, 3000, and 4000 series have all contained a hardware tessellation unit

:hello: 
January 29, 2009 9:13:38 PM

Honestly I'm not sure that it's really important whether or not the currently available hardware will support DX11 or not. We're probably at least a year away from any DX11 games being released and by that time the current hardware probably won't have enough juice to run them in DX11 mode anyways.
January 29, 2009 10:45:59 PM

DX 10 still isn't used by many game programers...and We're wat 2 years into DX 10? DX 10.1 has been out for almost a year now, and nothing.

This isn't really news...remember the news from far cry 2? How Nvidia can "Emulate" DX 10.1 the same Blah Blah.

I would much rather have an Actual DX 11 card than a DX 10.1 card, not because its DX 11 but because its more powerful.
September 3, 2009 1:39:19 PM

i dont think dx11 will be in the field even in 2010. we dont really have a standalone fully optimized dx10 games even now. i think developers are not much worried about dx11. they are worried about how to make the game look like crysis in much more efficient way :p  .. it should be more like that. the graphics in crysis is mind blowing even in dx9 mode. developers can still do much more tweaks and tricks in dx9... thats why i think dx11 implementation is still a long way to go
a b U Graphics card
September 3, 2009 1:59:25 PM

^ lol @ you
September 3, 2009 3:52:56 PM

redwine01 said:
i dont think dx11 will be in the field even in 2010. we dont really have a standalone fully optimized dx10 games even now. i think developers are not much worried about dx11. they are worried about how to make the game look like crysis in much more efficient way :p  .. it should be more like that. the graphics in crysis is mind blowing even in dx9 mode. developers can still do much more tweaks and tricks in dx9... thats why i think dx11 implementation is still a long way to go

you've missede point, tessellation makes you gfx look stunning without the performance hit so if the 4870 can do some of it you would have better gfx than crysis at a reasonable FPS, so its good news for all that have ati cards
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 3, 2009 4:09:21 PM

I find it amusing that people are commenting on a year old article.
a c 130 U Graphics card
September 3, 2009 5:51:19 PM

The tesselation unit in the older cards is not compatable with DX11. Tesselation is a hell of a lot harder than just turning it on, if thegames are not coded to use tesselation it wont matter anyway.

Mactronix
a b U Graphics card
September 4, 2009 12:51:17 AM

I don't have the link on me (its on my work PC, oddly enough...), but both ATI and M$ have stated that the tesselator on the XBOX360 GPU, and ATI 2000, 3000, and 4000 series is NOT compatable with DX11.
!