Catalyst 9.1 Out!!!

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Just got them installed and everything is nicely stable and Fall Out 3 atleast seems smoother maxed. I may do benchmarks later, but I don't know whether I will be called into work tonight or not so no promises.

Yep, I saw those earlier. It looks like they tried to focus on stability this time which is nice. I'll try them later, but I don't play many current games so no benches from me. I'm more hoping this will improve my motherboard (790GX) performance/stability.

Just_An_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
Interestingly I noticed that one of the moderators on the official AMD forums stated that Catalyst 9.1 will actually be slightly slower than the 8.12 Hotfix drivers as 9.1 does not include the multi-threaded optimization that is added by the hotfixes. Apparently the main goal of the 9.1 release was to get the OpenGL 3.0 support and that multi-threaded optimization will have to wait until the 9.2 release.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
Well I knew these wouldn't bring anything to the table:)

Told you Jaydee;) and every1 said I was wrong:)

Stability needs to be the first driver out, not the 6 month down the road driver....I remember when I had the X1900 AIW....what did it say on the box "Catalyst the most reliable driver" ...phail.

I honestly hate both companies right now.

Ati never delivers anything for too long, while Nvidia just decides to resell our own sh!T.

Come on Voodoo 2009!!!!!!

P.S

Any1 interested in buying my 4870 X2? I'm just going to put the 280 GTX in the secondary...not wasting temps+ time with the 4870 X2:p Its a lan party computer.

Lets see the performance gains first. The multi gains may not be on these drivers, but thats just the multi gains, and those will only be seen on DX10 anyways. Are there other gains? From what Im seeing, there are decent gains without the multi , so even more to come

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
I see nothing lol I see a new card:p its been 6 months for the 4870 X2 and 7 for the rest:p

It took half a year for some drivers? And ppl said that Nvidia doesn't frequently update ahaha

Can't we come to the conclusion that they both are loser companies and we should stick to Intel onboard?

Yikes no, not Intel! On an interesting side note, I don't think I've ever actually had Intel integrated graphics. All of my non-gamers have had really weak discrete or ATI integrated. Not sure about the really old one though.

I'm quite happy with a stable status quo. This card is great for the games I play.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
LOL!

I had an Integrated ONCE in my life....I think it was a Amd Duron which had a soldered on CPU and VGA LMAO...it couldn't even play Counter strike 1.5 HAHAHAHAHAH....it barely got 30 fps.

On Vista 64, it appears to be running well enough. Though to be honest, I didn't notice any difference in frame rates or detail.

For peeps playing with Win 7 - The 9.1 drivers definitely install and so far they operate in the general sense. I haven't stressed it, though, so I'm witholding any opinions/judgements until the weekend.

Im sorry but i really dont understand why the companies find it so hard to make decent reliable Drivers.
I recently ran some tests with Omega Drivers vs ATI CCC and to be honest guys as an experiance the Omega drivers blew the ATI ones clear out of the water.
I did all the testing using Far Cry 2 and while the Omega drivers didnt give the raw FPS of the newer 8.12 drivers (I say newer as the Omega drivers are actually tweaked 7.12 drivers) they took a lot more post processing effects with out dropping frames.
Or to put it another way i could run higher AA/AF etc with higher FPS than the 8.12 could. Yes they started a full 10 FPS slower and i figure its at this point that a lot of people would think stuff that. However the 8.12 drivers got nowhere near the same quality levels before the performance fell through the floor.
I realise that testing on one system with one game is hardly conclusive but thats a years worth of drivers that have failed to see a significant improvement over the old set that have been tweaked.

Mactronix

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
I'm sorry, I slide towards either company, but honestly I'd rather have back stabbing low lifes as my card, than driverless card company.

Who ever bought the 4870 X2 on release, I'm sooo sorry for all the **** that you went through:( I thought I had it bad with the crappy 9800 GX2.

I need a vote...sell off my 4870 X2 or just hold on and see what happens? Cuz I don't plan on livving 200 yrs:p

Yes I sound fanboyish, but honestly i hate both companies right now...just 1 hate less:p

Lets all start a new video card company:) We'll make sure it can run mspaint and stuff.

Just_An_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008

Cool. It definitely is frustrating when new drivers seem to create as many new problems as the old ones they solve. Sadly this seems to be more or less par for the course for both ATI and Nvidia at least where older titles are concerned.

G

Im sorry but i really dont understand why the companies find it so hard to make decent reliable Drivers.
I recently ran some tests with Omega Drivers vs ATI CCC and to be honest guys as an experiance the Omega drivers blew the ATI ones clear out of the water.
I did all the testing using Far Cry 2 and while the Omega drivers didnt give the raw FPS of the newer 8.12 drivers (I say newer as the Omega drivers are actually tweaked 7.12 drivers) they took a lot more post processing effects with out dropping frames.
Or to put it another way i could run higher AA/AF etc with higher FPS than the 8.12 could. Yes they started a full 10 FPS slower and i figure its at this point that a lot of people would think stuff that. However the 8.12 drivers got nowhere near the same quality levels before the performance fell through the floor.
I realise that testing on one system with one game is hardly conclusive but thats a years worth of drivers that have failed to see a significant improvement over the old set that have been tweaked.

Mactronix

Just out of curiosity can i know if this Omega drivers work with 64-bit version of Windows 7? and what wit these rumors of ati releasing a 4995x2 or is it 5870x2 card in the near future, wat do you make of that?

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Im liking 9.1 so far, crysis and crysis warhead have edged forward a bit again this month. Warhead all enthusiast dx9 with physics, textures and object detail on gamer with 2xAA is proper playable now @1400x900. Even with my duff cpu.