Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

What settings for overclocking my Q9550 to 3.2 or 3.4?

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
June 13, 2010 12:52:36 AM

I want to get more performance out of my processor, and I was hoping you guys could tell me what I would need to change in the bios to overclock my system.

It tops out at about 67c under load and I've read that they don't start to even feel a performance hit until at least 85-90.

Here's all the parts that I have that may come into play when you guys figure out how to mesh all the numbers to sync together.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=n82e168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (only 2 sticks, so 4gb total)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Thanks in advance

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 13, 2010 7:12:58 PM

There's a really good guide here, put together by folks with a lot of knowledge and experience.
Share
June 13, 2010 10:43:17 PM

I did a little more researching(looking on the back of my mobo box) and found out that it supports Easy Tune 6, which overclocks your system easily. I chose the first level of OC first, which put my CPU at 3.4ghz. I ran IntelBurnTest for 20 cycles and my Core 0 got up to 85c. Is this safe for just WoW/BFBC2 or should I start looking into a new heatsink?
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 133 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 13, 2010 11:03:36 PM

Those temps are too high you might have an airflow problem or maybe your heatsink isn't set right. I would keep those temps under 70 unless you want to fry your CPU.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 13, 2010 11:11:33 PM

swae said:
I did a little more researching(looking on the back of my mobo box) and found out that it supports Easy Tune 6, which overclocks your system easily. I chose the first level of OC first, which put my CPU at 3.4ghz. I ran IntelBurnTest for 20 cycles and my Core 0 got up to 85c. Is this safe for just WoW/BFBC2 or should I start looking into a new heatsink?


If I were you I would enable "Thermo Control" in your BIOS. It will help to keep you from frying your CPU.

treefrog07 gave you a great link to get started with.

Here is another link that has some great info as well.

I'd suggest you get a good after market cooler for that CPU.:) 
m
0
l
June 13, 2010 11:41:52 PM

I opened CPU-Z and found something weird, it says my core clock is 2400mhz about (it fluctuates) sometimes saying 3400mhz, and dxdiag is showing 3400. Should I undo the OC until I can get a new cooler and do it correctly in the bios or is this normal?

Which fan would you guys recommend? Noise isn't an issue because I use headphones with my computer.

edit: When I start intelburntest, the clock goes up to 3200mhz and fluctuates, is it auto adjusting for the amount of load the system has?
m
0
l
a c 133 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 13, 2010 11:58:52 PM

swae said:
I opened CPU-Z and found something weird, it says my core clock is 2400mhz about (it fluctuates) sometimes saying 3400mhz, and dxdiag is showing 3400. Should I undo the OC until I can get a new cooler and do it correctly in the bios or is this normal?

Which fan would you guys recommend? Noise isn't an issue because I use headphones with my computer.

edit: When I start intelburntest, the clock goes up to 3200mhz and fluctuates, is it auto adjusting for the amount of load the system has?

Hyper 212 Plus one of the best coolers for the money.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Newegg has it at $59.99 which it can be found cheaper else where I have seen it for $30 at MicroCenter if you have one near by.

As for your clock fluctuating make sure you dont have speed step enabled.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 14, 2010 12:35:50 AM

^+1 on the Hyper 212 Plus
m
0
l
June 14, 2010 3:32:29 AM

Best answer selected by swae.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 14, 2010 6:01:30 PM

You should be able to get 3.4 by simply changing your FSB to 400 and your vcore from auto to default/stock (~1.225v). Assuming your RAM/mobo can keep up on stock volts.

Doesn't take much for a Q9550 to get 3.4, mine got 3.6ghz on stock volts (3.4 is average). Like they've said, back off if your temps exceed 72c during stress testing.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 14, 2010 6:15:45 PM

Ditto the last message:

with SpeedStep enabled, all we did was to
increase the FSB to 400 MHz. We also tweaked
the MCH voltage to the top of its "safe" range,
because we are running 16GB of DDR2 Corsair RAM.

When busy, our Q9550 ramps up to 3.4 GHz no problema!

... very nice CPU.


MRFS
m
0
l
June 14, 2010 7:07:51 PM

I'll experiment more when I get a new cooler, I had to set it down to stock because Windows wouldn't boot. But now how do I turn off this weird thing where it underclocks when I'm not doing anything?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 15, 2010 12:22:04 PM

swae said:
I'll experiment more when I get a new cooler, I had to set it down to stock because Windows wouldn't boot. But now how do I turn off this weird thing where it underclocks when I'm not doing anything?
In the BIOS CPU features: Disable PPM EIST Mode, or a similarly-worded setting.

CPU cooler: If you shop around, you can usually find the CM 212 for about $30 delivered, but your selection is fine if you want to spend more.
m
0
l
!