slowman09

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Hi

I have just built a brand new system with the components listed below, all new. It is a clean install of Windows from genuine CD. Everything is OK exepct that when I shut down the system, the pc shuts down fully from Windows to black screen but the motherboard power, PSU, PCI cards, case fans, CPU fan are all still active and running. It's not a thermal safety delay thing, as I have left it overnight and it is still running in the morning. The CPU is way down the temperature stakes at 38-40deg c all the time so no overheat problem. Windows power management set to defaults. The only way I can get it to power down completely is to then hold in the power button for 5 seconds and it all goes off. I have checked all the connections on the system header, I have tried taking out all the PCI devices, USB devices, even the IDE CD device but the problem is still there. I cannot see anything in the BIOS that I could change to solve it. I have seen other people on forums with similar issues from time to time, but I've never read of anyone actually solving the problem. My OS runs from SATA hard drive configured as IDE in the BIOS. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

ASROCK P45TurboTwins2000 BIOS P1.10
Intel E8400 3GHz Core2Duo E0 Stepping
4GB Crucial DDRII PC2-6400 RAM
NVIDIA GeFORCE 9400GT PCIE
SATA WDC 320GB OS drive
SATA WDC Green Power 500GB x 2
Nesteq 500W PSU
Scythe Ninja II Cooler
Zalman FanMate
LG Super Multi DVD RAM IDE Optical Drive
ANTEC P180 case
WIN XP PRO SP3

slowman09

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Hi - what I mean is that when I tell Windows to shut down, it should shutdown and then power off the hardware in one action - my old system in this case did that, as have all other Windows PC's I've known. Normally you don't have to wait for Windows to shut down and then have to press the power button to actually turn off the PC. That's the issue I'm trying to solve...

slowman09

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Nope. There's nothing in the BIOS I can see that I can change that will make any difference. I have roamed the net and I see people having this issue but never a solution. It's interesting that on more than one occasion I've seen people with the E8400 chip having this problem. Could be coincidence as it is a popular chip. I have also realised that there is an issue with sticky temperature sensors with these chips and that mine are stuck. There's a chance it could be a thermal safety issue preventing power off, but somehow I don't think it's that - and if it is, with stuck sensors I don't know what I can do about it... I mailed AsRock about it but no response from them

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
This is an interresting problem. Reminds me of the old AT boards. I'm wondering if it has something to do with a 20 pin power connector vs the 24 pin power connector. Could also be related to an 8 vs 4 pin cpu power connector. This might be a bug issue. Interrested to see what other's thoughts are on this.

This is a bit of a long shot but give this a try. Unplug everything except your ram, cpu, and video card (Unplug your ethernet cord, and all your pci cards). See if it'll shut down then. If it does insert them back one at a time and see what might be causing the problem. Report back if this is the problem and we can then diagnose how to fix that.

If that does not work, check to see if you have the latest verison of your mb's bios. If so maybe try rolling it back? If not update it.

slowman09

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Hi kubes, this is the first board I have used with a 24 pin ATX connection - but they are keyed so are connected properly, and I checked the wiring online, and it is a decent PSU so I don't think there's any problem in principal. In terms of taking everything out, I have tried that, even with the hard-drives disconnected, no mouse, keyboard only and running from a boot CD. I have to have the GPU in else I can't see anything (no onboard graphics). I don't have another graphics card to try at the moment.. There is no BIOS update or rollback available. At one point I cleared my CMOS (belt and braces with battery out for an hour) and reset the BIOS that way. Still no dice.

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
I see in your orignal post that your running bios 1.10. I know that it has at least verison 1.80 doing a quick google search. Might want to check into it.
http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/BIOS/Asrock/Asrock-P45TurboTwins2000-Bios-180.shtml
I don't know if this is the latest driver just as a heads up.

From the post noted above, if you have a usb keyboard try to find a usb to ps2 connector and see if that works.

I'll try keeping a close eye on this thread to see what else might develop.