OC i5-750 on Asus P7P55D-E Pro

jacksonyu721

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Hello guys,
I'm thinking of overlocking my i5-750 on my Asus P7P55D-E Pro.

What are the settings that I should configure on my BIOS (CPU Voltage, Bus Speed)? Since I am completely new at overclocking, I really need some detailed help guys.

Can someone also tell me what are the settings in the BIOS that I must configure for overclocking, like the ones that I've mentioned above?
I don't care touch my BIOS until I really know what I am doing :p

If possible, is there a website where I can learn the basics to overclocking?

Thanks very much
JJ

iqvl

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
PCH: Intel P55 chipset voltage

- main I/O interface
- display connectivity
- audio feature
- power management
- manageability
- security
- Storage feature

It is pretty obvious that the higher the CPU frequency, the more frequent the I/O(input and output) and so the higher the power consumption of "main I/O interface". Hence, the PCH voltage needs to be increased based on the same current(P=VI). However, 1.10V should be sufficient for any OC achieved on air cooling.

PLL: Phase Locked Loop voltage

- Processor/IMC(Integrated Memory Controller)/other internal clocks
- Clock multiplying of processor is provided by an internal Phase Locked Loop

Generally, 1.8V(default value) and 1.9V for OC under 3.6GHz and 4.2GHz respectively.

Vtt

- L3 shared cache
- memory controller
- processor I/O power rail

Since memory controller frequency is dependent on BCLK, the higher the BCLK, the higher the Vtt required.

Try this for 3.6GHz:
Load-Line Calibration: Enabled (or Level2 for Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD5)
Vcore= 1.20V (CPU-Z idle)
QPI/Vtt/IMC= 1.14V
PCH= 1.10V
PLL= 1.80V
RAM= Specified voltage for your RAM

I just wrote up a long response to an identical thread, just check the OC forum threads list and there's already several i5 750 OC threads on the main page...

But yeah, google guides and try your hand at it to learn... always test for stability and temps... don't exceed Intel specs (unless you're feeling ballsy ;))