Powercolour X1650pro AGP 512MB

Hi
i have a problem with new graphics card the X1650PRO AGP 512MB. the problem i have is the exact same problem which this person faced
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/67909965/m/572001544931

My pc is the t150.uk a very old computer to say the least and these are my motherboard specs http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bph08337.pdf

so my question is do you think updating my bios will fix this issue i am having?

my bios version is this: BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.19, 16/04/2003

Thanks in advance
Jimmer
21 answers Last reply
More about powercolour x1650pro 512mb
  1. from the looks of the other guys problem, a bios update is whats needed!

    Admittadly, they will say that the VIA KT400 type of chipset is rubbish, but i have the same kind of chipset in my ASUS A7V8X-x MOBO and since i have updated my chipset drivers (VIA Hyperion 4in1) and got the latest release of AWARD BIOS for the MOBO then my PC has been flying...im unsure what update Phoenix do...but its worth it!

    I would say also that if your MOBO doesnt have a flash utility like mine does then you will need to learn how to make a bootable floppy of your new BIOS as well as making sure that you floppy drive is ordered to boot first in your current bios!

    Once you do this, your BIOS will be set to default, which means you may have to run about changing small things like making sure your BIOS is enabling AGP control and that the graphics are set to AGP 8x. Catylist is only for a running system post BIOS so dont go there until your BIOS is updated!

    Also i would set your AGP apeture to around 128mb this is base really for a slow rig like yours, but the GPU should be able to handle any kind of games...your going to be restricted by your processor CPU if anything as most good games need at least 2Ghz to play on.

    As im facing...youwould be best to consider a new rig...but as im doing...playing with my old but reliable A7V8X-X is fun and im learning loads!

    go find a BIOS...and chill..its easy!!

    Martyn :sol:
  2. oh yeah...need to find more details about your rig? go to softpedia.com and look for everest home edition!..its very good!
  3. Thanks for your reply.
    so you think if i updated my bios this will solve the problem?

    however i have been on the intel support website and i cannot find any bios updates for my chipset the 845ge. If there is no bios update how can i overcome this problem?

    Thanks
    Jimmer
  4. Anyone?

    Jimmer
  5. jimmer_92 said:
    Anyone?

    Jimmer



    Hi Jimmer!
    Yeah an BIOS update for an old rig may inject some life into it, escpecially with hardware suppot issues!
    Like i said if you get "Everest Home" from softpedia then you will be able to get the lowdown on your particular bios and chipset and board info.

    An older board and its updates may have been deleted but you may find a way around this if you follow the link that everest will generate for your BIOS version.

    I wold also look into making sure you have adequate backup for your data incase something goes wrong.
    Flashing a BIOS is scary stuff if you havent done it before but its really not as bad as you think.

    Have you considered different ways of researching your rig on the net? I have found that by wording your searches correctly you will yeild different results!
    For example i put in google "Upgrade CPU A7V8X-X" and what it gave me was a sight that not only told me the whole CPU list that can be used for my board but also the BIOS versions applicable to that CPU! Very helpful!

    have you tried looking at Phoenix's website ( it was Phoenix wasnt it?)

    Martyn
  6. Hi Martyn
    Thanks for your reply. I have been doing a little research on the internet to try and find if there were any bios updates for my rig, i came across a bios update on the hp website under my product. I installed the bios and then reinstalled the grahics card however this bios did not solve my issue. Yestersday i had a look on Phoenix's website and i came across this little product called Biosagentplus. I clicked the free scan and it scans your computer for out of dat drivers etc and then gives you a link for the newer version driver. This Biosagentplus however said that i had an outdated bios and gave me the link for the bios download. The only problem is that i have to purchase the Biosagenplus too gain access to the link for the download.

    So Martyn i have looked on the Phoenix's website and came across the bios update for my rig but do you think there is another way to find the offical bios update without purchasing Biosagentplus?

    Thanks
    Jimmer
  7. jimmer_92 said:
    Hi Martyn
    Thanks for your reply. I have been doing a little research on the internet to try and find if there were any bios updates for my rig, i came across a bios update on the hp website under my product. I installed the bios and then reinstalled the grahics card however this bios did not solve my issue. Yestersday i had a look on Phoenix's website and i came across this little product called Biosagentplus. I clicked the free scan and it scans your computer for out of dat drivers etc and then gives you a link for the newer version driver. This Biosagentplus however said that i had an outdated bios and gave me the link for the bios download. The only problem is that i have to purchase the Biosagenplus too gain access to the link for the download.

    So Martyn i have looked on the Phoenix's website and came across the bios update for my rig but do you think there is another way to find the offical bios update without purchasing Biosagentplus?

    Thanks
    Jimmer



    New message


    Hmm...yes BIOSagent is well cheeky in that it charges you, similar to "driver
    agent" which has been reported to scan incorrectly ...just to get you to buy into the software. But this is just heresay from internetland.

    Do you know what chipset you have? if you can find the make and model then updating this can have very positive effects with an update. Its the "Northbridge" you want to update as far as i remember....as i said before..."everest" can identify the type of chipset you have.

    If your mainboard (mobo) is before 2003/2004 then you may have to consider CMOS resetting, to apply changes to the way your hardware profiles are stored in the CMOS. Before 2003/2004 most boards have "jumpers" that you remove temporarily to reset the CMOS. Most of the time the jumper can be found near the main chipset actually on the board. After 2003/04 most boards come with Jumperless CMOS resetting, which automatically applies changes to the CMOS and the profiles contained within it once the power cord was REMOVED, so the board relies solely on its CMOS button cell battery.

    Also if you know that you BIOS has updated successfully, have you changed the profiles within it? for example if you installed a new BIOS the settings will be defaulted. So if you have an AGP card and its plugged into the AGP slot, and your BIOS is set to use PCI GPU's you will have problems. Im unsure on how Phoenix BIOS handles assignments.
    Also if this is all good consider that your card is in conflict on an"IRQ" or interrupt request level. This means that your CPU holds a "ready line" of requests from different devices and like going to a delecatessen in TESCOS you have to take a number and wait for your turn to be served.
    In this case your device/GPU may have the same number as another device...so like at the shop...if you have the same number as another customer...you will fight to get served first!!!

    IRQs generally run from 1 to 15...Pehaps on startup on on everest in "resources" you can see ther IRQ assignment in your rig.....if 2 devices have the same IRQ then change it in the BIOS...( USB devices onboard will have the same IRQ's generally as they form part of the same set of devices IE USB 1, 2,3, 4 all having IRQ3..keep the numbers separate!

    all things to consider, but as for your question, keep looking i would say..do you know your BIOS update was successfuly done? deffinatly consider the above actions!!

    Martyn :-)
  8. Oh when i say CMOS resetting with a jumper, you would only need to do this when you make big changes or are experiencing serious hardware issues..you wouldnt need to do this every time you make a change.
  9. martyn2691 said:
    New message


    Hmm...yes BIOSagent is well cheeky in that it charges you, similar to "driver
    agent" which has been reported to scan incorrectly ...just to get you to buy into the software. But this is just heresay from internetland.

    Do you know what chipset you have? if you can find the make and model then updating this can have very positive effects with an update. Its the "Northbridge" you want to update as far as i remember....as i said before..."everest" can identify the type of chipset you have.

    If your mainboard (mobo) is before 2003/2004 then you may have to consider CMOS resetting, to apply changes to the way your hardware profiles are stored in the CMOS. Before 2003/2004 most boards have "jumpers" that you remove temporarily to reset the CMOS. Most of the time the jumper can be found near the main chipset actually on the board. After 2003/04 most boards come with Jumperless CMOS resetting, which automatically applies changes to the CMOS and the profiles contained within it once the power cord was REMOVED, so the board relies solely on its CMOS button cell battery.

    Also if you know that you BIOS has updated successfully, have you changed the profiles within it? for example if you installed a new BIOS the settings will be defaulted. So if you have an AGP card and its plugged into the AGP slot, and your BIOS is set to use PCI GPU's you will have problems. Im unsure on how Phoenix BIOS handles assignments.
    Also if this is all good consider that your card is in conflict on an"IRQ" or interrupt request level. This means that your CPU holds a "ready line" of requests from different devices and like going to a delecatessen in TESCOS you have to take a number and wait for your turn to be served.
    In this case your device/GPU may have the same number as another device...so like at the shop...if you have the same number as another customer...you will fight to get served first!!!

    IRQs generally run from 1 to 15...Pehaps on startup on on everest in "resources" you can see ther IRQ assignment in your rig.....if 2 devices have the same IRQ then change it in the BIOS...( USB devices onboard will have the same IRQ's generally as they form part of the same set of devices IE USB 1, 2,3, 4 all having IRQ3..keep the numbers separate!

    all things to consider, but as for your question, keep looking i would say..do you know your BIOS update was successfuly done? deffinatly consider the above actions!!

    Martyn :-)


    Hi Martyn,
    Thanks for your reply and taking time to help me on my issue thank you.

    Ok i have just installed Everest and my northbridge chipset is 'Intel Brookdale-G i845GE' however i do not know what year this chipset was made in so i can not comment on weather it was made before 2002/2003.
    I can definitly tell you Martyn that was bios update was succesfull. When i boot up my pc the Intel Pentium logo has changed etc. I have entered the bios and i set everything too default as my old bios setting were at default, however i did change my graphics card controller from PCI-->AGP.

    The irq you have mentioned i did not even know existed until you mentioned them however i will have a look around Everest about the irq's

    Yes Martyn my bios did successfuly update and i will consider the actions you have suggested. Do you have any information about my chipset? if you do thats great, if you don't that obiviosly no problem.

    Anyway thanks for all your help so Martyn it's very much appreciated

    Thanks
    Jimmer
  10. jimmer_92 said:
    Hi Martyn,
    Thanks for your reply and taking time to help me on my issue thank you.

    Ok i have just installed Everest and my northbridge chipset is 'Intel Brookdale-G i845GE' however i do not know what year this chipset was made in so i can not comment on weather it was made before 2002/2003.
    I can definitly tell you Martyn that was bios update was succesfull. When i boot up my pc the Intel Pentium logo has changed etc. I have entered the bios and i set everything too default as my old bios setting were at default, however i did change my graphics card controller from PCI-->AGP.

    The irq you have mentioned i did not even know existed until you mentioned them however i will have a look around Everest about the irq's

    Yes Martyn my bios did successfuly update and i will consider the actions you have suggested. Do you have any information about my chipset? if you do thats great, if you don't that obiviosly no problem.

    Anyway thanks for all your help so Martyn it's very much appreciated

    Thanks
    Jimmer



    New Message


    Hi Jimmer!

    Hmm thats encouraging that your BIOS went through ok and you set the GPU to AGP not PCI, however in looking into the borad which supports your Northbridge chipset, the only downfall for your board is the Graphics support and capability. Also the prefix AMI BIOS is famed for being reasonably basic, so changes will be limited. (i use Award BIOSwhich is pretty good, unfortunatly your machine may only be able to take Phoenix/AMI)

    Hoping that you have thouroughly disabled the onboard graphics, which naturally conflict with any other GPU device, there are things to look at....
    Your board doesnt support AGP 8X, which gets the most out of the ageing AGP utility. it does support AGP 4X...to get the most out of your ATI card AGP 8X is best.

    To update the Chipset drivers will generally improve the transition of information across the Northbridge before your CPU is needed (hence a "bridge" between CPU and devices) but in terms of Graphics capability your main board is lacking in the best support from the off for the gamer in you!

    By the looks of things your main board doesnt posess Jumpers, which could be seen as an encouraging sign that your CMOS will reset itself on powerdown rather than having to bugger round with resetting after critical changes and faults. The funny thing is that mainboards mostly did away with jumper CMOS resetting about 2003/04..your board is 2002 i think!!

    As you mentioned about IRQ assignment, looking at each device in everest may tell ou their IRQ assignment...get a peace of paper and write them down. This excercise is helpful if there are any IRQ clashes, which will cause problems!


    All in all Jimmer, your rig can be improved, but there will be very soon a limit to go to. By the look of it you posess a 2.66Ghz or similar processor on a 478 socket, meaning that to make the processor better will cost you a bomb as those processors are pricy as not made anymore. Your DDR1 RAM memory is also expensive but will improve speed if you can get it!...if you went looking for updates for 478 socket motherboards you may come across a batch of improvements.....??

    Ive done what your doing and now my rig is maxed...but i would say that i have learnt so much about the way PC's work and now am able to build my own..
    Enjoy learning Jimmer!

    take a look at your board info here and its pages!!!

    http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=452&page=1

    Good luck!
  11. PS..take note that the G in your chipset number suggests "integrated graphics"..make sure you disabled the integrated graphics before inserting the GPU card.

    Look for updates for 845 series chipsets if you wanted to!
  12. Hi Martyn,

    Thanks for the information i shall have a look around the internet and see if there any bios updates now that i have the vitel information i need.

    When you say disable the integrated graphics how do i do this?
    As when i go into my bios and i select what graphics card controller i use i get the options
    1)PCI
    2)AGP/ONBOARD
    as my graphics card is agp how do i know if my pc is using the correct graphics card?
    I have had a look in everest and it says that my display is the card i have in the agp slot at the moment which is the radeon 9200. My question is how do i know that i have an intergrated graphics running and if i do i have it running how to i disable it?

    Thanks again Martyn!
    Jimmer
  13. @JIMMER_92: The MB will automatically disable the onboard graphics if it detects an AGP card installed.
    This page is from the UK Hewlett Packard support site. The software is applicable to XP ONLY, the site offers none for other operating systems.

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=uk&product=311458&lang=en

    You`ll notice the BIOS in the list about halfway down. Make absolutley SURE the update applies to you MB. Get it wrong and you`ll have a dead PC:(
  14. Hi Coozie7,
    ok thanks for that information on the integrated graphics i'm guessing that the onboard graphics is not conflicting with my agp new card.

    The bios which your are speaking off is the one i succesfully downloaded and installed.

    Thanks
    Jimmer
  15. Thought it might be.
    If your system is still playing up and you have the original drivers you might want to try uninstalling all the drivers (including chipset) and reinstalling. Check the install CD though, in most cases they have to be installed in a certain order and we`ve had at least one probelem solved by installing drivers in the correct order.
    And do n`t reinstall the onboard graphics drivers, that will almost certainly cause conflicts.
  16. the on board graphics are only loaded when the system has been formatted and a clean install of windows occurs...you can go about uninstalling the onboard graphics from the control panel>system> device manager however when you reboot the system will detect hardware changes and re-install the onboard device.

    As coozie says...its possible that the onboard will be disabled when the AGP is used, but i would say the safest way is this process.

    1.uninstall any reference of graphics devices ( i would then use something like CCleaner to clean up registry values and keys after uninstall)

    2. turn off the unit unplug it and remove the AGP card

    3. turn on the unit and enter the BIOS double checking that the AGP capability is enabled and any reference of onboard graphics disabled.

    4.enter windows and double check that there are no references of graphics software.

    5. close windows, turn off, unplug and then re-install the GPU card

    6. on windows start up the unit will detect the GPU card and you will be asked for the CD

    7. if you got the cd..good..if not...say no and then allow the system to fault on the install and then go looking for Catalyst and drivers for your GPU.


    The chipset for your MOBO can be updated without the need to uninstall old software. Its new software is loaded into the CMOS and stays there if its the right version.

    sounds like its ok...everest is reporting AGP card..but i would start over following the process!

    :-)
  17. Hi again,
    sorry for the late reply i've quite busy this week. Ok i have tried that procedure and i am sorry to say that it did not work. I thought that when i saw the results on ccleaner saying ati.dll after i had cleared all those unwanted ati files off my pc i thought it may just off worked however i was proved wrong.

    I know think that my only option is the flash bios update however i have try to and find the correct bios.

    If you can provide any help on trying to find the correct flash bios update it would be very much apreciated

    Thanks
    Jimmer
  18. jimmer_92 said:
    Hi again,
    sorry for the late reply i've quite busy this week. Ok i have tried that procedure and i am sorry to say that it did not work. I thought that when i saw the results on ccleaner saying ati.dll after i had cleared all those unwanted ati files off my pc i thought it may just off worked however i was proved wrong.

    I know think that my only option is the flash bios update however i have try to and find the correct bios.

    If you can provide any help on trying to find the correct flash bios update it would be very much apreciated

    Thanks
    Jimmer



    NEW MESSAGE!!!

    Hi Jimmer

    hey no problem....hehe its funny, what we are getting into now is what i call "snow blindness"...where the solutions are often more simple, but there are many different approaches you have tried that it all becomes a big mish-mash of information.

    Some motherboards have the ability to use a flash utility to quickly update the BIOS made for them....Other boards, particulary the older ones, you have to make Floppy Boot Disk, using a 3.5 floppy disk. Im unsure on how the older ones do this as mine has an EZ Flash utility that alows me to load up the files for the BIOS quickly from the off...so am unsure.....
    Anyways by the sound of it your BIOS was successful in update...if your unsure...cross reference the dates and version numbers between the Everest report....and the saved BIOS file you have (presuming you saved it)....as you may know... you can find the dates and times that certain files are made by right clicking and going to "properties"

    I had to do this only yesterday to make sure that my BIOS and Chipset was updated ok...(everest reported BIOS version 1013 and the file i saved was called a7v8x-x...13.... so it correlated with both created 12/09/04).. its playing detective!!

    As for CCleaner a reference to ATI DLL referrs to a driver file..im guessing you used the registry facility on it?..if so, you most probably uninstalled ATI, and CCleaner has picked up references of obsolete or unused driver files and has deleted them or cleaned them...

    i would handle the BIOS and the install of the GPU and its software separately (in principal)...once the BIOS has been prepared for AGP ...as it seems you have done...then you can begin installing the GPU..but as ive learnt...it can be a rather clinical affair that requires a step by step approach!

    must dash im at work at the moment will try and get back soon!
  19. jimmer_92 said:
    Hi again,
    sorry for the late reply i've quite busy this week. Ok i have tried that procedure and i am sorry to say that it did not work. I thought that when i saw the results on ccleaner saying ati.dll after i had cleared all those unwanted ati files off my pc i thought it may just off worked however i was proved wrong.

    I know think that my only option is the flash bios update however i have try to and find the correct bios.

    If you can provide any help on trying to find the correct flash bios update it would be very much apreciated

    Thanks
    Jimmer



    NEW MESSAGE!!!

    Hi Jimmer

    hey no problem....hehe its funny, what we are getting into now is what i call "snow blindness"...where the solutions are often more simple, but there are many different approaches you have tried that it all becomes a big mish-mash of information.

    Some motherboards have the ability to use a flash utility to quickly update the BIOS made for them....Other boards, particulary the older ones, you have to make Floppy Boot Disk, using a 3.5 floppy disk. Im unsure on how the older ones do this as mine has an EZ Flash utility that alows me to load up the files for the BIOS quickly from the off...so am unsure.....
    Anyways by the sound of it your BIOS was successful in update...if your unsure...cross reference the dates and version numbers between the Everest report....and the saved BIOS file you have (presuming you saved it)....as you may know... you can find the dates and times that certain files are made by right clicking and going to "properties"

    I had to do this only yesterday to make sure that my BIOS and Chipset was updated ok...(everest reported BIOS version 1013 and the file i saved was called a7v8x-x...13.... so it correlated with both created 12/09/04).. its playing detective!!

    As for CCleaner a reference to ATI DLL referrs to a driver file..im guessing you used the registry facility on it?..if so, you most probably uninstalled ATI, and CCleaner has picked up references of obsolete or unused driver files and has deleted them or cleaned them...

    i would handle the BIOS and the install of the GPU and its software separately (in principal)...once the BIOS has been prepared for AGP ...as it seems you have done...then you can begin installing the GPU..but as ive learnt...it can be a rather clinical affair that requires a step by step approach!

    must dash im at work at the moment will try and get back soon!
  20. NEW MESSAGE!!!

    Hi Jimmer

    hey no problem....hehe its funny, what we are getting into now is what i call "snow blindness"...where the solutions are often more simple, but there are many different approaches you have tried that it all becomes a big mish-mash of information.

    Some motherboards have the ability to use a flash utility to quickly update the BIOS made for them....Other boards, particulary the older ones, you have to make Floppy Boot Disk, using a 3.5 floppy disk. Im unsure on how the older ones do this as mine has an EZ Flash utility that alows me to load up the files for the BIOS quickly from the off...so am unsure.....
    Anyways by the sound of it your BIOS was successful in update...if your unsure...cross reference the dates and version numbers between the Everest report....and the saved BIOS file you have (presuming you saved it)....as you may know... you can find the dates and times that certain files are made by right clicking and going to "properties"

    I had to do this only yesterday to make sure that my BIOS and Chipset was updated ok...(everest reported BIOS version 1013 and the file i saved was called a7v8x-x...13.... so it correlated with both created 12/09/04).. its playing detective!!

    As for CCleaner a reference to ATI DLL referrs to a driver file..im guessing you used the registry facility on it?..if so, you most probably uninstalled ATI, and CCleaner has picked up references of obsolete or unused driver files and has deleted them or cleaned them...

    i would handle the BIOS and the install of the GPU and its software separately (in principal)...once the BIOS has been prepared for AGP ...as it seems you have done...then you can begin installing the GPU..but as ive learnt...it can be a rather clinical affair that requires a step by step approach!

    must dash im at work at the moment will try and get back soon!
  21. martyn2691 said:
    NEW MESSAGE!!!

    Hi Jimmer

    hey no problem....hehe its funny, what we are getting into now is what i call "snow blindness"...where the solutions are often more simple, but there are many different approaches you have tried that it all becomes a big mish-mash of information.

    Some motherboards have the ability to use a flash utility to quickly update the BIOS made for them....Other boards, particulary the older ones, you have to make Floppy Boot Disk, using a 3.5 floppy disk. Im unsure on how the older ones do this as mine has an EZ Flash utility that alows me to load up the files for the BIOS quickly from the off...so am unsure.....
    Anyways by the sound of it your BIOS was successful in update...if your unsure...cross reference the dates and version numbers between the Everest report....and the saved BIOS file you have (presuming you saved it)....as you may know... you can find the dates and times that certain files are made by right clicking and going to "properties"

    I had to do this only yesterday to make sure that my BIOS and Chipset was updated ok...(everest reported BIOS version 1013 and the file i saved was called a7v8x-x...13.... so it correlated with both created 12/09/04).. its playing detective!!

    As for CCleaner a reference to ATI DLL referrs to a driver file..im guessing you used the registry facility on it?..if so, you most probably uninstalled ATI, and CCleaner has picked up references of obsolete or unused driver files and has deleted them or cleaned them...

    i would handle the BIOS and the install of the GPU and its software separately (in principal)...once the BIOS has been prepared for AGP ...as it seems you have done...then you can begin installing the GPU..but as ive learnt...it can be a rather clinical affair that requires a step by step approach!

    must dash im at work at the moment will try and get back soon!


    Hi Martyn
    Thanks for your reply once again, on your question regarding boot my pc by floppy disk i'm not sure weather my pc has the function.

    On Ccleaner i did use registry facitly and i did unistall ati so i'm guessing that it just got rid of all the ati files which were not needed on my pc.

    As you can probally tell from my reply i am running out of ideas, so if you have any ideas to lighting me ;) would appreciate it.

    Thanks again Martyn
    Jimmer
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards BIOS Graphics