Powers on, powers off, and repeats

klosterdev

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
Me being stupid as I am, I accidently touched the hard drive of my computer while it was on, without being grounded. (I was adjusting a fan)

Well, the motherboard was screwed, so I got a new motherboard and cpu, tore the guts out of my system and put it back together. I just finished putting it together again, powered it on, and something strange happened. It turned on, for about half a second, then turned off. A second later, it turned on, for about half a second, then turned off. It kept repeating this.

I'm going to assume it has something to do with a component being bad that I didn't know about, but I'm really not sure. Any guess on what's causing it?

It could be many things, but since you didn't provide a complete list of components, it will be difficult to help you. First, I assume that you bought a new CPU becasue of an upgrade and not because the old one was defective. Since you touched the hard disk and that apparently killed your system, did you also buy a new hard disk? Does the system stay powered up if you disconnect everything and only keep what's essential to POST?

klosterdev

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
No, it was a hellava shock, enough that I felt it when I hit the disc. The computer was on at the time, and given that I couldn't even get to POST after the zap, I figure it went throughout the system. It looked like the motherboard was fried, so I got a new motherboard, and a new CPU. I yanked out the old motherboard and CPU, put the new ones in and put everything back together, and now it just cycles on and off until I hit the power switch on the back of the power supply. I used some extra ram I had lying around to see if the ram was bad too, but I had the same result.

What common things should I try to disconnect before I give it another shot?

zethex

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
Just making sure, you have the 4/8 pin CPU connector plugged in as well right?

Still wouldn't really explain that. Try new hard drive and if that fails possible a new power supply as the rails might be damaged now.

klosterdev

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
Come to think of it, my power supply gives me the 8 pin connector, the motherboard only needs four. I used the four pins on the side that fit. Shouldn't matter though, right?